VIDEO: 12 Most Common Mistakes Foreigners Make When Speaking Thai

Thai people always love to hear foreigners make an effort to speak Thai. We always encourage our students not to be afraid of making mistakes when they have a conversation with local people, we would love students to use the lessons they learn in real life. We believe mistakes are stepping stones to learning! However we as Thai language teachers would like to help you to speak Thai correctly. 🙂

This lesson we put together 12 Most Common Mistakes Foreigners Make When Speaking Thai.  We hope you find it useful in your Thai learning.

Keep practicing!

Kru Mod & Kru Pear

32 Responses to VIDEO: 12 Most Common Mistakes Foreigners Make When Speaking Thai

1. Paul 09/07/2017 at 17:13 #

Your videos are wonderful, and this lesson was spot on – one of my earliest mistakes was not clearly saying sip baed, taxi drivers always thought I said sip et. So…I had to laugh when I saw that you said this was a common mistake, because I indeed used to make it. Now I over pronounce sip baaaeeeeedddd…555…but that’s Ok, everyone knows I am saying 18 🙂

2. Teacher Wee 02/12/2016 at 10:39 #

I am self-taught so this is especially helpful. I was wondering if there is a notes pages you could produce with the subtitles on. I want to stick it on my fridge!
    อยากวางบนตู้เย็นของฉัน!! 🙂

Many Thanks, Teacher Wee

3. Pierre 24/04/2016 at 19:59 #

Hi Mod & Pear

Very good lesson, thank’s!

I want to know about one sentence in video :

Mod ja mai ton

what does this really mean ?

Because i see english translation, but you have face like it’s a joke.

ทน ?

• Mod 26/04/2016 at 16:43 #

Thank you for your comment. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our lesson. 🙂

ทน /ton/ means ‘to stand, tolerate’. มดจะไม่ทน /Mod jà mâi ton/ means I am not going to stand this. This sentence was a phrase from a well known Thai funny ad, so I was just trying not to laugh when using the expression.

• Pierre 02/05/2016 at 12:33 #

Ok, thank’s a lot!

4. Mr Barry 24/03/2016 at 23:24 #

Afer learning for years, having tried all apps

I have the knowledge to say there are no better Thai Lessons then Mod’s video

• Mod 07/04/2016 at 18:27 #

Thank you for your positive comment. I really appreciate it and happy to know that you found my lessons useful in your Thai learning.Keep practicing. 🙂

5. Bradley Davis 18/01/2016 at 00:25 #

Sawasdee krup kru Mod and Kru Pear. First I want to thank you for your excellent lessons, I know many thai words, but they are mostly all nouns and adjectives so I have a lot of problems forming complete sentences. You are helping me to solve that problem! I was wondering what the difference is between gin and deum when talking about drinking. I always thought deum meant drink and gin meant eat, but when you talk about drinking beer you use gin bia. Are these words interchangeable?

• Mod 09/02/2016 at 12:28 #

Sawatdee ka kun Bradley, we are happy to hear that you found our lessons useful in your Thai learning.

‘gin’ is used for both eat and drink in spoken Thai. ‘dùem’ is usually used in formal situation such as a waiter talks to a customer.

6. arigetas 03/11/2015 at 14:31 #

Very useful tutorial, thank you Aj. Mod and Aj. Pear 🙂

Now i am start to learn speaking in phasa Thai..

• Mod 23/11/2015 at 15:15 #

We are happy to hear that you found this lesson useful in your Thai learning. Keep practicing. 🙂

7. Foo 29/10/2015 at 12:00 #

Am deaf …not so easy to hear you that well……
    anyway the lesson is good…thanks.

8. david 26/10/2015 at 23:43 #

Kru Mod…this is an awesome lesson and many of these situations were presented to me on my trip this summer. i stayed for 6 weeks so you can imagine how many times I had chances to make mistakes.

Can you explain how the word กรุณา works into situation number 2? Whats the difference between using ช่วย and กรุณา

Thanks….love these lessons. I stay longer every time I go and I feel like my language has stopped progressing so I’m trying to perfect what I already know. And of course learn to read and write more. Thanks jaaaa

• Mod 01/11/2015 at 14:27 #

สวัสดีค่ะคุณเดวิด

First of all apologies for the delay in my response. Thank you for your comment. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed this lesson.

To answer your question;
      – กรุณา is too formal and is not used in spoken Thai.
      – It is used to tell people to do or not do something, but it is not necessary about doing something for someone. Whilst ช่วย is commonly used to make a request to give help directly to someone.
      – It is usually used in writing such as on signs you might see at temples or hospitals.
      For instance; กรุณาถอดรองเท้า (please take off your shoes) กรุณาอย่าส่งเสียงดัง (please don’t make loud noise).

Hope this help. 🙂

9. walter 26/10/2015 at 20:29 #

nice lesson kruu mod verry useful

10. Nat 26/10/2015 at 17:57 #

ผมพูดทุกสิ่งทุกอย่างไม่ถูกต้อง

11. นิกกี็ 26/10/2015 at 17:31 #

As usual, a very helpfu videol – thank you. I’m wondering between the difference of อย่า and ห้าม I think ห้าม is more used in formal context like ห้ามสูบบุหรี่ whereas อย่า is more used talking with friends, is this right? Or is there some other difference in usage? ขอบคุณมากครับ

12. Nico 26/10/2015 at 13:42 #

Dear teacher Mod and Pear,

First thank you for your video 🙂 I have a question about section No 4 (อยาก). Well, when talking about the persons we have to use อยากมี and talking about things we have to use อยากได้, however what we have to use about the feelings ? I would say ผมอยากมีความสุข because i think happiness doesn’t come into a box 555

Nicolas

13. Peter Tkac 26/10/2015 at 13:11 #

This is a great video and so helpfull thank you. Gets me more interested then ever before in continuing my studying.

14. Claudsen Tang 26/10/2015 at 11:58 #

Hi Mod,

This is definitely helpful. It corrects the doubts that I have all this while.

Thank you.
    Claudsen

15. Martin 26/10/2015 at 03:50 #

Hi excellent video lesson – I think one of your best yet as it is very informative and a valuable asset to learning the Thai language.

16. TB 25/10/2015 at 22:26 #

one of your best videos yet!

17. Peter 25/10/2015 at 21:21 #

I found this latest video (12 Most Common Mistakes) especially helpful. I knew some of the different phrases but did not know why they were used in certain situations and this really helped to make the differences clear. Thank you from New York!

18. Brad 25/10/2015 at 20:26 #

Excellent. Cleared up some of the mistakes I make often!

19. Susan 25/10/2015 at 19:32 #

Great video! Very easy to understand. Thank you.

20. Andy 25/10/2015 at 19:26 #

Great stuff Adjima & Mod, I wrote all that down on flash cards – very informative. Keep up the good work !

21. Anthony 25/10/2015 at 18:22 #

12 most common mistakes,for me the best video you both have made.

22. Dr. Scott 25/10/2015 at 17:52 #

Great video on common mistakes, but it contains too much information. It would be more effective to divide the contents into smaller segments/videos. Thank you.

23. bernard 25/10/2015 at 16:58 #

Very clear and good lesson. Good to see the phrases in thai too.
    Thank you.