VIDEO: How to Forbid & Give Warning

Songkran or Thai New Year is coming in a couple days. Besides all the major fun that is about to go on with the water fight, there are also some tips that have been given to the festival participants for their safety.

We are going to talk about useful words that are used to make a command NOT to do something. 🙂

1. ห้าม hâam (forbid, prohibit)

Pattern 1: ” Someone + hâam + somebody +  do something”

Example;

– รัฐบาลห้ามคนใช้ปืนฉีดน้ำแรงดันสูง rát-tá-baan hâam kon chái bpuen-chìit-náam raeng-dan sŭung

The government prohibit people to use high-pressure water guns.

Pattern 2: ” hâam + do something”

– ห้ามเล่นน้ำแข็ง hâam lên náam-kăeng (Playing with ice is forbidden.)

– ห้ามจำหน่ายแอกอฮอลล์ hâam jam-nàai alcohol (Distributing alcohol is prohibited.)

– ห้ามขับรถเวลาเมา hâam kàp-rót way-laa mao (Driving when being drunk is forbidden.)

–  ห้ามเดินลัดสนาม hâam dern lát sà-năam (Walking across the ground is forbidden.)

เดิน /dern/ = walk , ลัด /lát/ = cut across ,  สนาม /sà-năam/ = field, lawn

– ห้ามถ่ายรูป hâam tàai-rûup (Taking photo is forbidden.)

ถ่ายรูป / tàai-rûup/ = to take pictures

2. อย่า yàa (Don’t do something , Don’t be something)

Pattern: yàa + do something (Don’t do something)

– อย่ากลับบ้านดึก  yàa glàp bâan dùek (Don’t come back home late)

– อย่าเมา yàa mao (Don’t get drunk)

– อย่าทะเลาะกัน yàa tá-ló gan (Don’t fight, don’t argue)

– อย่ามโน yàa mà-noo (Don’t be dreaming)

3. ระวัง rá-wang (Be careful, Beware)

Pattern 1 : rá-wang + something (Be careful with something)

– ระวังไม่สบาย  rá-wang mâi sà-baai (Be carful not to get sick.)

– ระวังขโมยล้วงกระเป๋า rá-wang kà-mooi lúang grà-bpăo (Be careful with pickpockets.)

– ระวังผู้ชายมือไว rá-wang pûu-chaai mue-wai (Be careful with dirty men)

– เล่นมือถือมากๆ ระวังเป็นโรคสายตาสั้นเทียม lên mue-tŭe mâak-mâak, rá-wang bpen rôok săai-dtaa sán tiam (Playing on your mobile phone too much, be careful of getting pseudomyopia decease.)

Pattern 2 : Do something + ระวังๆ rá-wang rá-wang (Do something carefully)

– เดินระวังๆ dern rá-wang rá-wang (walk carefully.)

– ขับรถระวังๆ káp rót rá-wang rá-wang (drive carefully.)

11 Responses to VIDEO: How to Forbid & Give Warning

1. son thiet 06/12/2015 at 16:37 #

hi kru mod!! i am so happy when i was learning your style teaching!!! all of you video lessons are very useful for me !!! now i get more confident when communicate with my thai fiends! thank you so much kru mod!! khop kun maak na khrap!!!1

• Mod 07/12/2015 at 09:22 #

Sawatdii ka, thank you for your positive message. I am happy to hear that you found my lessons useful in your Thai learning. Keep practicing. 🙂

2. shayne 26/05/2015 at 00:16 #

Hello, Your videos are wonderful and your teaching is very clear and fun. Would you have any details or other lessons as I did see that your comment above said that you do online teaching as well. Thank you
    🙂

• Mod 04/06/2015 at 21:37 #

Sawatdii ka Shayne,

First of all, apologies for the delay in my response.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed my lessons. Yes, we also offer private Thai lessons via Skype.

Our Skype lesson is the same as in-person lessons but through web camera, so you can start learning Thai right away from wherever you are! The materials are in Word and PDF files which are sent to students at the beginning of each lesson. We have been teaching students from around the World ; America, Europe, Australia, Asia over the years. From our experience we find that Skype lessons are as effective as in-person lessons.

We usually suggest students to have lessons once or twice a week. It is sufficient to learn for one hour per session.

Please find further details via the link below:

Let me know if this is convenient for you and I can schedule a FREE trial appoint to find out how we can work best together. We can then find a suitable schedule and teaching course for you start your Thai learning. Please kindly write me at adjima_t@gotmail.com 🙂

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
      Mod

3. Richard 11/04/2015 at 19:04 #

hello,kru mod, i only watch your videos when i study thai. By the way, will you do advanced
    lessons? thank you.

• Mod 14/04/2015 at 12:43 #

Sawatdii ka Richard, thank you for watching my videos. We teacher one-to-one Thai lessons both in-person and online, we use tailor made materials which is range from beginners to advance level to apply to the level of the students and their needs. 🙂

4. stefano 11/04/2015 at 18:45 #

Khopkhun krap kruu Mod, botrian koong khun nasonjai. choop mak mak

• Mod 14/04/2015 at 12:48 #

Sawatdee ka Stefano. Mod dii-jai tii Stefano chorp ka (I am happy that you enjoyed it.) 🙂

5. Sirinya 11/04/2015 at 18:36 #

Hello Mod! I’ve been following your blog and videos for a long time now. I’m really happy you always make such comprehensible videos. Although I’m half-Thai, I’m not proficient in Thai language, thus your lessons help me a lot.
    Have a happy Thai New Year too!

Yours, Sirinya

• Mod 14/04/2015 at 12:54 #

Sawatdee ka Sirinya, thank you so much for your kind comments. I am very happy to hear that you found my lessons helpful. Hope you continue to follow my lessons un the future as well.

สุขสันต์วันปีใหม่ไทยค่ะ Sùk-Săn wan bp-mài tai kâ 🙂