I love to drink Thai iced tea or what Thai people call it “Chaa Yen” (ชาเย็น). It has a unique flavor, creamy and sweet with rich aroma. My mom came to visit me last week so I asked her to teach me how to make it. It is actually very easy!
Let’s have a look at the ingredients and equipment:
1. 2 cups water (0.5 liter)
2. 50 grams black Thai tea (My mom mix Thai tea with another kind of tea she got from my hometown, she said it was from Malaysia and it makes the tea richer)
* You can find Thai tea mix which is available in Asian markets and also online.
3. 3/4 cup (about) brown sugar (you can also use white sugar, however my mom said the brown sugar gives the tea a nice fragrance)
4. 1/2 cup (about) condensed milk
5. 1/2 cup evaporated milk (if you can’t find condensed milk and evaporated milk, you can use half-and-half )
1. Put the tea into the water and bring it to boil, then simmer over low heat about 10 minutes.
2. Strain the tea through a sieve lined with a Thai tea strainer, basically it is a really fine sheet pastry cloth.
3. I use the tongs to squeeze the cloth to get as much tea as possible, and that’s it! you already got Thai tea. You can keep the tea in the fridge and sweeten it later when you want to serve, but I wanted to serve it right away so I mixed the condensed milk, evaporated milk and the tea together.
4. Mix the the condensed milk and evaporated milk together.
5. Pour the tea into the mixed milk. You can also refrigerate the tea until it is cold.
This is how to essemble the Thai tea:
1. Fill tall glasses with ice.
2. You want a two-layer effect so pour the tea over the ice to the bottom of the glass and leave about 20% at the top.
3. Slowly pour the evaporated milk into the glasses. Serve and enjoy!
Please let me know how it turn out:)