Thai flag (ธงชาติไทย /tong châad tai/) shows five horizontal stripes in the colors red , white, dark blue, white and red, with the middle dark blue stripe being twice as wide as each of the other four.
Each color has a meaning;
- Red color is stand for ‘nation’ (ชาติ), the color of blood and represents life to the Thai people.
- White color is stand ‘religion’ (ศาสนา), the purity of the national religion, Buddhism.
- Blue color is stand for ‘king’ (พระมหากษัตริย์) , the monarchy and the important role it plays in the daily lives of Thai people.
Learn Thai with Mod’s key words:
1. flag = ธง /tong/
2. red = แดง /daeng/
3. white = ขาว /kăao/
4. dark blue = น้ำเงิน /náam ngern/
5. Thai national anthem = เพลงชาติ /pleeng châad/
What are the colors of your country’s flag? Do they stand for something?