VIDEO: 10 Useful Words of the Heart

If you search for words or phrases that include the word “ใจ jai“, nearly 100 of them if not more, will pop up. Why are there so many? The word ใจ /jai/ means ‘heart or mind‘, and Thai words that the meaning relates to ‘feeling’ or ’emotion’  always has the word ใจ /jai/ in it.  As the heart is one of the most important organs in the entire human body, the word ใจ ‘jai’ is also important to learn. : )

I selected 10 words  of the heart (would like to do more, but don’t want to bore you) I think they are useful and commonly used in everyday life, and make a story around it (not sure if it is successful 555).

เสียใจ /sĭa-jai/                          sad

นอกใจ /nâwk-jai /                   cheat on someone

ทำใจ /tam-jai/                         to control emotion , accept the fact, put up with something

เอาแต่ใจ /ao dtàe jai/             to be self

จริงใจ /jing jai/                        to be sincere

เห็นใจ /hěn jai /                       to feel for someone

เจ็บใจ /jèb jai/                          to be indignant

ด่วนตัดสินใจ /dùan dtàt-sĭn-jai/  to jump to conclusions

ใจเย็น /jai yen/                          to be calm

เร้าใจ /ráo-jai /                          to arouse

From the role play, there are two sentences using a ‘although’ pattern;

tŭeng + subject  + + adjective/verb , dtàe + subject + gâw + adjective/verb

ถึง + ประธาน + จะ + คำคุณศัพท์/คำกริยา , แต่ + ประธาน + ก็ + คำคุณศัพท์/คำกริยา

[1]  ถึงชั้นจะเป็นคนเอาแต่ใจ แต่ชั้นก็จริงใจนะ

tŭeng chán bpen kon ao dtàe jai, dtàe chán gâw jing-jai ná

Although I am self-centered, I am sincere.

[2] ถึงพี่จะไม่หล่อ แต่พี่ก็เร้าใจนะ

tŭeng pîi mâi làw, dtàe pîi gâw ráo-jai ná

Although I am not handsome, I rock!

What are the “jai” words you use a lot? : )

30 Responses to VIDEO: 10 Useful Words of the Heart

1. stephen 26/03/2015 at 10:14 #

Hello Mod, Thankyou for your continuous good work. I would like to ask if you’d be kind enough to deliver the full name of your capital city Krungthep, on camera,along with a translation and explanation of its meaning? Thankyou for your attention. Stephen

2. Chris 13/08/2014 at 22:37 #

Sawasdee krab khun Mod,
    I have a question about “เอาแต่ใจ”: I heard similar expressions like “เห็นแก่ตัว” and “วัวลืมดิน”.
    Could you explain when to use which please?

3. Chris 11/05/2014 at 19:05 #

Sawatdee kru mod
    What does nisai sia mean ? Kop Khun krup

• Mod 15/05/2014 at 00:04 #

นิสัย /ní-săi/ means ‘habit or behaviour’
      เสีย /sǐa/ means ‘bad, not working’

นิสัยเสีย /ní-săi sǐa/ means ‘bad habit’, it is also used to call someone who has done unpleasant. It can also be used jokingly with friends.

4. Mr.Mark 02/12/2013 at 23:27 #

Hi Mod, ben kroo… your lessons are great, and very helpful. No ‘greng jai’, bu I guess that would be a whole lesson in itself!

Just a quick suggestion for you.. you could incorporate some review at the end.. maybe multiple choice,
    ie. ‘So does จริงใจ /jing jai/ mean to be sincere, or to calm down?’, maybe ask the viewer to say they ‘feel for someone’, or the difference betwee ‘make a decision’ and ‘jump to conclusions’ – and review the answers after each one? I think it would help people remember them, as there is quite a lot of (very useful) information.

ฑอบคุฌมากครับ ^^

• Mod 06/12/2013 at 11:14 #

Sawatdee ka kun Mark, thank you for your kind words. I am happy to hear that you found my lessons useful in your Thai learning 🙂

Also thank you for your suggestion, it is very good idea, I’ll keep that in mind and use it in my next videos. ขอบคุณมากค่ะ ^-^

5. chris 08/11/2013 at 23:15 #

Thank you Kru Mod. Your videos are great! I really appreciate them. Can you do some more? maybe on more technical words that farang might run into while living and engaging in daily business activities in Thailand. For example, getting out of paying for a “riding without a helmet” fine? 🙂 Or going to Department of land and transportation to get a driver license?

• Mod 11/11/2013 at 14:22 #

Sawatdee ka Chris,

Thank you for watching my videos and your suggestions. I will remember them when I do new videos in the future:)

6. Rose 23/08/2013 at 01:21 #

I’m surprise you didn’t use “Jai dum” or “jai rai” since it’s commonly used in lakorns. 555
    Anyways, thank you! 😀

• Mod 24/08/2013 at 17:50 #

Thank you for watching my video. I thought most people might know of “jai dam” and “jai raai” already, I wanted to use words that are unfamiliar. 🙂

• Jon 28/02/2014 at 15:45 #

I wanted to comment first that this was an excellent video. I like that you break down the meaning of the words for users to understand. I use the paiboon android dictionary, but your videos are great to understand the context and see the thai symbols together. Now here is my next comment.

What exactly is ‘jai dam’/’jai dum’ and ‘jai raai’/’jai rai’ mean?

It’s a good idea to explain the term in question, because some of us might not know the word.

7. Stephen 18/07/2013 at 17:24 #

Thankyou Khun Mod and I’m sooooo pleased and relieved to hear that re:your terrific and helpful earlier work. Chock dii.

8. Stephen 17/07/2013 at 12:23 #

Good to see you being the calming voice of reason Khun Mod 🙂

Could one also use “lawk” or “lawk luuang” in place of “nawk jai”?

I sincerely hope we haven’t lost all the library of your previous work uploaded to YouTube©!?

For what it’s worth, my favourite “jai” has to be “kreng jai” as it says so much about Thai people.

• Mod 17/07/2013 at 15:51 #

หลอก /lawk/ or หลอกลวง /lawk-luang/ actually means to deceive someone with wrong information or misleading. It can not be used for “hawk-jai” : )

Regarding my YouTube channel, I will wait a little bit longer. If I don’t get it back eventually, I’ll upload all the previous videos to my new channel.

• dhiraj 24/08/2013 at 11:01 #

hi mod, i want to know the diffrence between ,new,wood, and not
        khop khun krab

• Mod 24/08/2013 at 17:33 #

ใหม่ /mai (low tone)/ = new
          ไม้ /maai (high tone)/ = wood
          ไม่ /mai (falling tone)/ = not

9. YourFan 14/07/2013 at 16:19 #

Very useful lesson! this word is used so commonly in thai songs and daily conversations.

10. David 10/07/2013 at 00:44 #

Kru mod…
    Thanks so much for the video. There have been so many times i have had conversations with Thai friends and have heard words with -jai used. This is very helpful. Love the “rocker” horns….krai saawn hai na kap? Farang baa, chai mai ?

11. Kim 09/07/2013 at 22:46 #

เข้าใจ​แล้ว​ครับ…​
    เก่ง​จุงเบย….​
    ขอบคุณ​มากๆครับ…​

12. Eugene 07/07/2013 at 09:42 #

Hi Khruu Mod, thank you for the lesson. I’ve been looking for the meaning of the word ‘dii-dii’, and it’s used here. 😀

May I know the meaning of dii-dii? In this example, we have “Tam jai dii-dii gawn”.

Thank you.

• Mod 12/07/2013 at 11:58 #

“dii” means ‘good’. It can be used as an adverb for ‘safely, well, do something properly ‘ when telling someone to do something.
      For example;
      – Your friend is driving back home late at night, you can say ขับรถดีๆ /kap sot dii-dii/ drive safely.
      – Mother tells a kid who is eating and playing at the same time and making a mess กินดีๆ /gin dii-dii/ eat properly.

Hope this helps. 🙂

13. Panha 03/07/2013 at 10:43 #

khorb jai khun kru zuy na

14. Yarisa 03/07/2013 at 06:31 #

I know this is off topic, but what does หมั่นไส้ mean in slang and how do you use it?

• Mod 09/08/2013 at 11:49 #

Sawatdee ka Yarisa, I am extremely sorry for the very late reply. I don’t know how why I didn’t see your question.
      หมั่นไส้ has no a specific English equivalence. It is a feeling that you dislike someone because you are jealous of something that person has or did.
      For example; เจนหมั่นไส้แอนเพราะแอนมีแฟนหล่อ Jane dislike Ann because she is jealous that Ann has a handsome boyfriend.

• Yoni 01/03/2014 at 04:01 #

Google translates it as “Depise”

15. David in Siam 02/07/2013 at 21:03 #

Great, as always. But the color of the white subtitles was so light that I could not read them.

• Mod 03/07/2013 at 11:00 #

Thank you for your kind words. There was an error with my editing program so it changed the text color. I fixed it and re-uploaded a new video already, please recheck 🙂

16. Taro 02/07/2013 at 19:33 #

Thank you, Khruu Mod. This video is very useful since I can understand how Thai people use these words with +ใจ in such and such contexts. Looking forward to next video.

17. Pascal 02/07/2013 at 14:58 #