Lesson 4 – Thai Vowels

Sawatdee ka,

There are 32 vowels in Thai language – 14 long vowels and 18 short vowels.

Vowel in Thai is called สระ [sà-rà]

Long vowel is called สระเสียงยาว [sà-rà sĭang yaao]

Short vowel is called สระเสียงสั้น [sà-rà sĭang sân]

Here are all 32 vowels:

I usually recommend my students to start learning the long vowels before short vowels.  See the long vowels here.

25 Responses to Lesson 4 – Thai Vowels

1. Shannen Marie 28/05/2016 at 19:48 #

I really wanted to learn how to read and write in thai. Thanks to this site 🙂

2. Hyen 28/03/2016 at 11:41 #

Hello. Are the vowels in the photo sorted in the correct order? If not, what is the standard sequence of the vowels?

• Mod 07/04/2016 at 18:21 #

The vowels are in the correct order. 🙂

3. Patrick 15/09/2015 at 23:36 #

Hi,

I clicked on the link to go to the long vowel section but got a blank page or 404.

You probably have to update the link 🙂

Thank you!

• Mod 24/09/2015 at 22:06 #

Sawatdee ka Patrick, thank you for visiting my website and letting me know about this error. I have already updated the link. You can watch the video on Thai Long Vowels here : http://learnthaiwithmod.com/?p=2072 🙂

4. Rose 16/08/2015 at 10:42 #

Teacher Mod,

Sawatdee ka! I would just like to thank you for these lessons, I was just wondering if you can make a video of short vowels too. Thank you!

• Mod 19/08/2015 at 17:29 #

สวัสดีค่ะโรส Sawatdee ka Rose, thank you for your comment. I am happy to hear that you liked this lesson. I said many times that I would do the lesson on short vowels, I will do soon. 🙂

5. Glyn 22/04/2015 at 19:58 #

This is the link for the video “Long Vowels”

6. Bob 21/04/2015 at 03:13 #

hello teacher Mod,

This site and your youtube-channel, all is very good, well done.
    you and others spend a lot of time teaching the world many things about Thailand and culture. Also the language.
    I see you are still taking time to reply to all the comments and so on. Very good and very kind of you!

Last year I have been looking through your site and informed you about the links that did not work.

I just recently started to try to learn Thai language all over again and was looking for videos about grammar and so on. But it is a little confusing to me.
    I still would like it very much, and I am sure that many people will appreciate your work, if you could make the time to do some new videos about the pronounciation of all the vowels, short and long. And the consonants as well.

On another page mentioned blog there are some printscreens of documents with the vowels and on one of the prints are written with red pencil a few numbers 1,2,3 and 4. Under the picture you give explanation and use different numbers, 1 to 15
    On the prints is used a dash – and you use ooh-aang.

On this page, see above, you wrote:
    “I usually recommend my students to start learning the long vowels before short vowels. See the long vowels here. This link is not working anymore.

kind regards,

Bob

• Mod 21/04/2015 at 16:04 #

Sawatdii ka kun Bob, thank you for your comments and for continuing to follow my website. I will look into fixing some of the broken links as soon as possible. 🙂

7. Jerome 25/03/2015 at 10:49 #

Sawadeekrap Mod,

Do you mind sharing the book name that you scanned for the vowel chart above?

Khob khun krap!

• Mod 08/04/2015 at 22:42 #

Sawatdee ka Jerome, it is a Thai language book for young kids, the name is แบบหัดอ่านภาษาไทย สำหรับชั้นปฐมวัย (ฝึกประสมสระ) เล่ม 1 🙂

8. Hoatran 07/02/2015 at 23:15 #

Could u show me how to read 32 vowels please?

• Mod 04/03/2015 at 23:22 #

Thank you for your suggestion. I have a video on 32 vowels, I will upload it soon.

9. Dr Abdul Sartori 23/07/2014 at 16:57 #

Kindly provide what I think is Lesson 5, 18 Thai short vowels. All previous lessons are fantastic & I am very grateful for them. They helped me immensely in my teaching my 9 year old daughter in teaching her to read & write Thai. I am a 75 year old father & she is look krueng.
    Dr Sartori

• Mod 06/08/2014 at 15:07 #

Sawatdee ka Dr.Saetori,

Thank you for visiting my website. I am happy to hear that you found my lessons useful in your Thai learning. I will create lesson 5 and the following lessons soon. 🙂

Kop kun ka,
      Mod

10. Pall Sovannarith 26/06/2013 at 11:16 #

I like Thai langauge very much. I am Cambodian but I started learning Thai lanagauge when I was 20 ys. I am 50 ys already.

If you do not mind . Pls send me some Thai book. I like learning. Thai

Sovannarith living in poipet

Tel: 012 78 22 65/ 097 6644 827

• Mod 26/06/2013 at 11:23 #

I am glad to hear that you like learning Thai language: ) Unfortunately, I don’t have my own Thai books yet but I am developing video courses. Please stay tuned:)

11. KRIS 31/05/2013 at 10:52 #

can u explain the diference of the signs in the top of the consonants, i know is for mark the tone of the word but its confusing , and when to use ใ or this ไ thank u

12. Blake 13/03/2013 at 13:43 #

I don’t see the ั vowel in the list there? I just noticed this when trying to read มังคุด when watching your fruit video. Is there a reason why this vowel is not included in the 32 ??

• Mod 13/03/2013 at 18:05 #

The ” ั ” is another form of ” ะ “. When you add a final consonant, ” ะ ” has to change the form to ” ั “.
      For example; ม + ะ = มะ
      ม + ะ + ง = มัง

13. Rod 24/02/2013 at 20:54 #

Mod hi, i am a bit confused? You show a sheet of 32 vowels then talk about the อือ vowel.. Where is this vowel on the sheet of 32 vowels? if it is a vowel why is it not on the sheet you show on video? thank you ……Rod

• Brian Guo 27/04/2014 at 13:17 #

It is the 2nd one on the 2nd row, if there is no final consonant, อือ has to be written with an extra อ.

• Mod 08/07/2014 at 18:07 #