I was browsing the internet and found the CNNGo’s article Top tourist destinations for 2012, and Bangkok is ranked third in their list of cool places around the world! I am happy to know that people like my city, so I thought I wanted to share something.
I think one of the biggest questions that comes up almost every day is ‘where to eat? and what to eat?’, am I right? lol So, I’ll start with my Top 10 place to eat in Sukhumvit.
Sukhumvit area is the best place for eating. Apart from must-try Thai food, you can find other famous type of cuisine found in the world in this area. From street vendors to international restaurants and fast-food outlets, from the very cheap to the prohibitively expensive.
Since the most convenient mean to travel in Sukhumvit road is by sky train, I will make a list in station order:
- Siam station
1. Som Tam Nua This place features Isan food, from Thailand’s northeast. From Spicy Som tam to grill tender beef with Nam Jim Jaew (Thai Northeast style dipping sauce). The must eat menu here is a basket of fried chicken.
If you go there on weekends you might have to wait to get in for quite a while.
Location: Just get off the BTS at Siam station and walk to Siam Square Soi 5
2. King Kong Yakiniku Buffet If you fancy grilled seafood and beef buffet, here is your place. This place is different from most buffet resturants, you can just order from the menu and the staff will serve everything to your table, isn’t that great?
Location: get off Chitlom station and walk about 100 meters to LangSuan road.
3. Hyde & Seek Gastro Bar
According to their website: “it’s been called Thailand’s first London-meets-New-York-meets-Asia gastro bar”. There are indoor seatings, and a large outdoor area to lean back. The restaurant is dominated by a massive bar at its center which shows that they are serious about their cocktails. The ambience is excellent with the DJ. The food is classic European/American comfort food, but playful and refined, developed by Celebrity Chef Ian Kittichai, and the talented team. It is a perfect place to bring a date or a group of good friends. It is one of those places that you can stay until closing:)
Worth booking in advance
Location: Athenee Residence, Soi Ruamrudee, Wireless Road.
4. Beirut Restaurant is a Lebanese eatery with a wide variety of Middle Eastern, halal cuisine which is simply superb. The Lamb Kebab is to die for.Tender succulent pieces of meat, yummy!!! Here is by far my favorite place for Middle Eastern dishes.
Location: Basement floor of Ploenchit Center. They has another branch on Silom road as well.
5. Pizzeria Limoncello The place is always packed, but their pizza never disappointing! with cozy atmosphere and the service was fast and friendly I used to go there every week. I can’t leave here without finish my meal with Tiramisu.
Location: Sukhumvit Soi 11, about 400 meters from Sukhumvit road and turn left at the corner of the German Beer House restaurant.
9. Soul Food Mahanakorn serves authentic regional Thai food which is not easy to be found these days. I like the concept of this restaurant neatly summed up on its website: “Wholesome ingredients. Honest cooking. Serious drinks.” The must-try dish is Yam Hua Plee (banana flower salad). I had it for the first time here and I fell in love with this dish. My favourite drink is the drink I ordered because I liked it’s name “Jai Yen Yen”(which in Thai translates to “cool down/chill out”), which is a sweet and delectable blend of Gin, ginger ale, lime, passionfruit, pineapple, and cucumber. Yum!
Location: Sukhumvit Soi 55, a hundred meters up from the corner of Thong Lor and Sukhumvit road
10. Seen Space in Thonglor has a great ambience with most of the restaurants having wide terraces open for a quick snack or drink. The center square seating area provides menus from all the surrounding restaurants, offering food from Asian and Western cuisine. Great place to hang out with friends and watch people go by over drinks or dinner, or preferably both. Great selection of beers available from BREW Beers & Ciders and the best fish and chips in town from Fat’r Gut’z.
Location: Soi Thonglor 13
Gin hai Aroy (Enjoy your meal),