VIDEO: Long Time No See

In this lesson we teach the useful phrase “long time no see” in Thai and a couple more common phrases Thai people often use to talk about after haven’t seen each other for a while.

“ไม่ได้เจอกันนาน /mâi-dâai jer gan naan/” is the phrase used for long time no see.

ไม่ได้ /mâi-dâai/ + do something = did not do something

เจอ /jer/ = to meet someone

กัน /gan/ = each other

นาน /naan/ = long time

Among women who are close friends it is acceptable and common to talk about the change in appearance such as weight, skin colour. In the video we explain how to use the word ขึ้น /kûen/ and ลง /long/ to form comparison.

BECOME BIGGER/BETTER

When talking about a condition improving or getting better (than before), this structure is used:

adjective +ขึ้น kûen

• I feel better.

ผมรู้สึกดีขึ้น /pŏm rúu-sùek dii kûen/

• Pear is more beautiful than before.

แพรสวยขึ้น /Pear sŭai kûen/

• The rent is more expensive than before.

ค่าเช่าแพงขึ้น /kâa-châo paeng kûen/

• He can speak Thai better.

เค้าพูดภาษาไทยดีขึ้น /káo pûud paa-săa tai dii kûen/

When talking about a condition deteriorating or getting worse (than before)

adjective + ลง long

• You look thinner.

คุณดูผอมลง /kun duu păwm long/

• The rent is cheaper than before.

ค่าเช่าถูกลง /kâa-châo tùuk long/

• The weather is worse.

อากาศแย่ลง /aa-gàat yâe long/

A Common Question Word

รึเปล่า /rúe-bplàao/” is a question word used when asking for a direct yes or no answer. It is similar to ไหม /măi/ or มั้ย /mái/, but it is just more direct.

The answer to รึเปล่า /rúe-bplàao/:

Answer ‘yes’ :  repeating the phrase before the question word, or if you are talking to someone who is close to you or a person in the same age they might answer with just the sound  อือ /ue/ or อืม /uem/ which is similar to English response ‘aha’.

For example;

Miss Juk: คุณหิวรึเปล่าคะ /kun hǐu rúe-bplàao ká?/ Are you hungry or not?

Mr. Ari: หิวครับ /hǐu kráp/ Yes, I am.

Answer ‘no’ : The short answer is ไม่ /mâi/ or if you don’t want to sound too abrupt you can response with “ไม่ /m2âi/ + the word from the question”

For example;

Miss Juk: คุณหิวรึเปล่าคะ /kun hǐu rúe-bplàao ká?/ Are you hungry or not?

Mr. Ari: ไม่หิวครับ /mâi hǐu kráp/ No, I am not.

From the video I asked Pear อ้วนขึ้นรึเปล่า /ûan kûen rúe-bplàao/ which direct translation would be ‘are you fatter?’ or in English it would be ‘have you gain weight?’ .

We hope you enjoyed the lesson and find it useful in your Thai learning. 🙂

19 Responses to VIDEO: Long Time No See

1. Jackie 06/10/2017 at 08:13 #

Dear khun Mod & khun Pear,

First of all I want to thank you for the interesting role-play and short video you shared. The video clips are so impressive – I could remember easier, faster and last longer. I have downloaded all the videos you composed and have them uploaded into my smartphone and thumb-drive in the car so that I could play the videos when I am travelling on business trip or driving.

I have problem downloading the 190-words-e-book from your website after trying 3-4 times. Could you please send it to me?

Jackie

• Mod 06/10/2017 at 11:26 #

Thank you for your comment. I am happy to hear that you found my videos useful in your Thai learning. I have received many emails about the problem with downloading the eBook. I am trying to find help to fix it. Apologies for the inconvenience.

2. Chuck 23/09/2017 at 10:52 #

I enjoyed the video. There is just so much one can cover in a 5 min video. It’s a nice quick dialog video. Thank you Kru Mod and Kru Pear. Could you two do a video on weather in the future? It could be useful in realistic Thai.

• Mod 25/09/2017 at 09:29 #

Thank you for your comment. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed the video. Also your suggestion is great! We will remember to make a lesson about weather in the future. 🙂

3. Larry 18/09/2017 at 11:30 #

Your video is great except that the sound volume
    is too low. I have turned the volume as high as
    possible.

• Mod 25/09/2017 at 09:30 #

We will improve the sound volume in the future. Thank you for your suggestion.

4. rainer 15/09/2017 at 23:02 #

I am with JR and Ken, learning a lot from your videos, writing down the full dialog and trying to learn from it. Like what you do so much. I have no understanding for anyone critisizing what you do, how you do it, etc. Your lessons are free, how can anyone dare?

You missed saying what ‘rue-bplaao’ means. I tried to look it up but my app ClickThai just finds ‘rue’, saying ‘or’, it doesn’t know ‘blaao’.

• Mod 25/09/2017 at 11:30 #

Thank you for your supporting comments.

As for your question, I have added the explanation for this question word in the post already.

• Vicky 30/09/2017 at 12:16 #

It means ‘or not.’

5. Brian 28/08/2017 at 15:56 #

Hi.Another interesting post from the two of you. But i think you are loosing the plot, you are not film stars. More content please.

• Michael 06/09/2017 at 16:10 #

They’re role playing ngo!

• Daniel 06/09/2017 at 17:56 #

Brian: i think your comment was quite rude… and considering it’s free, i’d say be grateful for what you are getting.

• Max Corrigan 05/10/2017 at 22:37 #

I agree uncalled for very rude

6. JR 28/08/2017 at 08:36 #

TSwadi Krab. Pom chawp your videos. You usually put the full dialogue but you didn’t this time 🙁 . Its good when I can listen and read along at the same time or reference what you say . Thanks for what you do. Krab

• Mod 06/09/2017 at 15:43 #

Thank you for your comment. I thought I would do it differently this time so students could focus on listening. We will change it in the next video. 🙂

• Ken 07/09/2017 at 06:24 #

Kru Mod and Kru Pear, thank you so much for making the video. I thought you are doing great by encouraging the student viewers to focus on listening (as you said). You are preparing us to face the real world which does not provide captions. You provided the caption later on which was perfect. Please do not change it.

• Mod 05/10/2017 at 22:53 #

Thank you for your supporting comment. 🙂

7. Saifaa 28/08/2017 at 04:28 #

Khun Mod-I speak Thai OK and like your videos and knew everything in this one accept the one thing you didn’t explain! I’ve heard “ruu – bplao” in many contexts and I get the idea of what it means but would love a more detailed explanation.

• Mod 30/09/2017 at 15:40 #

Sawatdii ka Khun Saifaa, I have added the explanation for “ruu-bplaao” in the post already. Thank you for watching our videos. 🙂