Trimurti Shrine – Bangkok’s Shrine of Love

I was one of the bridesmaids in my good friend’s wedding today. It was a lovely party all around. Every couple has their own how-we-met story, but we were talking about what really brought them together. I would like to share an interesting side of the love story related to Thai believe.

I believe many of you have been to Bangkok and have heard of the Central World shopping mall in Chitlom skytrain station. When talking about Central World one of the things Thai people will think of is the Trimurti Shrine which is known as Bangkok’s shrine of love.

Everyone in the wedding knows the story that my friend’s sister introduced my friend to her groom so they started dating, but only us bridesmaids know that before that Sai went to worshiped Trimurti shrine (ศาลพระตรีมูรติ) and asked to meet her soulmate within three months. The god answered her wish and Sai met her boyfriend exactly three months after that. And today they are husband and wife.

IMG_2544

At the dining table in the wedding my friends and I were talking about how sacred the god of love really is. Surprisingly, all of us know someone who has worshiped the shrine and then tie the knot soon afterwards.

A good friend of mine who is now married with a Korean guy and have one adorable son together also told me that she worshiped the Trimurti god a few weeks before she met her husband in the Bangkok MRT.

Gina and Gio

My friend’s wedding who is married to a Korean guy.

The boyfriend of my friend who was also a bridesmaid today told us that before they met, he went to make a wish from the shrine.

So if you are still single and would like to welcome true love to your life, here is what you do.

1. Prepare 9 red roses or a rose flower garland
  2. 9 red incense sticks.
  3. One red candle (for a single person) two red candles (for a couple who would like to tighten the relationship.)
  4. Sit in front of the shrine and say the prayer which is written on a stone below the shrine. Then offer the roses to the god and put the candle and incense sticks in the pot.

pae021

Photo Credit: horoscope.sanook.com/20213/

It is believed that the best time for asking wishes from the Trimurti shrine is Thursday 9:30 am or 9:30 pm. On Thursdays the shrine is always crowded, and you have to wait for your turn but this is such a small thing to do for love, isn’t it? J

If your wishes come true you have to present the gift to the god. People usually give coconut, milk, sugar cane juice and sweets.

Many believers claim Trimurti god is especially successful in matching foreign mates with Thai lovers.

IMG_2543

About Trimurti god:

In Hinduism, Trimurti represents the three aspects of God: Brahma (the Source/Creator), Vishnu (the Preserver) and Shiva (the Transformer or Destroyer).

พระตรีมูตริ

The deity is a gold statue of a human body with two heads and four arms. The heads are one on top of the other, and the lower head has four faces. Built in 1989, the Trimurti Shrine is on a raised platform, sheltered by a dome on four pillars with elaborately carved gables at the four sides. There’s an open area around the shrine with a ring of seats for worshippers to sit and reflect. Crafted in classical Indian sculpture with a Thai touch, the statue is a replica of the original from Ayutthaya.

However, I have read that the Trimutri situated in front of the Central World is actually five-headed Shiva but local people call the statue Trimurti.

So, if you would like to meet your match when you are in Bangkok next time why not give it a go. Please let me know the result. 🙂

19 Responses to Trimurti Shrine – Bangkok’s Shrine of Love

1. Max 13/01/2017 at 00:23 #

Thank you, Kruu Mod! I really enjoy every information on your website. After reading a post or watching a video I fall in love to Thailand more and more. I sure will visite this beautiful country once again, and I hope also Bangkock and some other places you tell us about! Thank you for your work! good luck!

• Mod 10/04/2017 at 11:08 #

Thank you for your kind comments Max. I am happy to hear that you enjoy my work and love my country. Wish you a great time during your next trip in Thailand! 🙂

2. Thuyen Nguyen 11/04/2016 at 15:28 #

Dear khun Mod,
    So excited to learn this post. However, I’m a foreigner and can not read Thai language, how can I say the prayer which is written on a stone as you wrote?

• Mod 15/04/2016 at 10:58 #

Sawatdii ka Thuyen, it is a good question. I was thinking about the same thing after posting the article. I am afraid I don’t know how to help with this matter. I don’t know if it is ok if you only ask for wishes in English without the prayer.

• Neng 16/04/2016 at 16:59 #

Dear Teacher Mod,

I have red your post ready it is interesting story so, one day if I go to visit Thailand I will go there .

And please you help guide me !

Best regards,
      Good luck!

• Mod 18/04/2016 at 16:32 #

Sawatdii ka Neng,

Thank you for your comment. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed my post. 🙂

3. JJ 04/04/2016 at 07:54 #

Thanks for the advice. I’ll visit the shrine next time I’m in Thailand!

• Mod 07/04/2016 at 18:02 #

โชคดีนะคะ /chôok-dii ná ká/ Good luck! 🙂

4. Mark 04/04/2016 at 06:25 #

Hi Mod

I have sat opposite that shrine many times just for a rest and its always been a busy place So now I know why
    thank you for the information teacher Mod

Maybe I will have to change my tactic of buying an ice cream from 711 and smiling at the check out girl it never works 🙂

• Mod 07/04/2016 at 18:04 #

Sawatdii ka Mark, thank you for reading my post. I am happy to hear that your found useful information here. 🙂

Good luck! 🙂

5. Jerry 04/04/2016 at 05:17 #

Why dont we go together and you show me how to pray the shrine of love?

6. Michael 04/04/2016 at 01:18 #

Thanks Kru Mod for you wonderful insights on the Thai culture. Since I am a farang, I will make sure to bring my Thai waanjai to the shrine the next time I am there (in 4 weeks from now).

• Mod 07/04/2016 at 18:05 #

Thank you for reading my post. Wishing you both a happy life together and have a great time in Thailand. 🙂

7. Joachim 03/04/2016 at 20:15 #

Haha,

Why so many number 9 (NEIN means NO)?
    9 red roses,
    9 red incense sticks
    Best time 9:30 am and 9:30 pm.

greets

Joachim

• Mod 07/04/2016 at 18:07 #

Thai people believe that number 9 is a lucky number. The pronunciation of “9” in Thai is เก้า /gâao/ which sounds the same as the word ก้าว /gâao/ that means ‘to go forward, progress, advance’.

• Joachim 09/04/2016 at 05:03 #

Good to know different kind of contemplation. 🙂

Thank you very much for your very useful information.

O, Today number “9”. 🙂

8. Bret Ellis 03/04/2016 at 19:42 #

I have been to this shrine many times with my girlfriend, but she did not tell me all the details above. I just figured it was another shrine she liked to visit lol

• Mod 07/04/2016 at 18:11 #

Thank you for your comment. It is nice to know that my post gave you some new information about Thailand. 🙂

9. Pikachu 03/04/2016 at 17:53 #

I always pass it by, but never know it was shrine of love. I thought some shrine for commerce as it is so near to Central World.