VIDEO: Basic Comparisons

When forming a comparative sentence like A is bigger than B, we use this pattern:

subject 1 + adjective/adverb + กว่า gwàa + subject 2

Script of the Role Play:

Pear: เย็นนี้กินอะไรดี yen-níi gin à-rai dii?

What shall we eat this evening?

Mod: ไม่รู้อ่ะ mâi rúu à

I don’t know.

Pear: อาหารญี่ปุ่่นดีมั้ย aa-hăan yîi-bpùn dii mái?

Is Japanese food good?

Mod: อาหารอิตาลีดีกว่า aa-hăan Italy dii gwàa

Italian food is better.

Pear: ไม่เอา ชั้นชอบอาหารญี่ปุ่นมากกว่า mâi ao, chán châwp aa-hăan yîi-bpùn mâak gwàa

No, I like Japanese food more.

Mod: แต่ชั้นชอบกินอาหารอิตาลีมากกว่า dtàe chán châwp aa-hăan Italy mâak gwàa

But I like Italian food more.

Pear:แต่อาหารอิตาลีแพงกว่าอาหารญี่ปุ่น dtàe aa-hăan Italy paeng gwàa aa-hăan yîi-bpùn

But Italian food is more expensive than Japanese food.

Mod: อาหารญี่ปุ่นก็ได้ aa-hăan yîi-bpùn gâw-dâai

Japanese food is alright then.

ไปกินที่ไหนดีอ่ะ bpai gin tîi-năi dii à?

Where shall we go tot eat?

Pear: Gateway ดีมะ Gateway dii má?

Is Gateway good?

Mod: ที่ซอยสุขุมวิท 39 อร่อยกว่า dtàe tîi Soi Sukhumvit 39 à-ròi gwàa

Soi Sukhumvit 39 is more delicious.

Pear: แต่เอกมัยเกตเวย์ใกล้กว่า dtàe Ekkamai Gateway glâi gwàa

But Ekkamai Gateway is closer.

Mod: เอกมัยเกตเวย์ก็ได้ ไปยังไงดีอ่ะEkkamai Gateway gâw-dâai , bpai yang-ngai dii à?

Ekkamai Gateway is alright then. How should we go?

Pear: ไปแท็กซี่ bpai Taxi

Go by taxi.

Mod: แต่ไปรถไฟฟ้าเร็วกว่า dtàe bpai rót-fai-fáa reo gwàa

But going by sky train is faster.

Pear: แต่แท็กซี่ถูกกว่า dtàe taxi tùuk gwàa

But taxi is cheaper.

Mod: แทกซี่ก็ได้ Taxi gâw-dâai

Taxi is alright then.

แพ้ตลอด páe dtà-làwd

I always lose.

We hope you enjoyed the lesson and find it useful. 🙂

, ,

12 Responses to VIDEO: Basic Comparisons

1. IMSz 20/04/2016 at 07:34 #

Great job Mod&Pear! The role play/conversation is extremely useful along with your explanations and the scrip of the conversation. Just what a student of Thai needs! Thank you for all your work!

• Mod 26/04/2016 at 16:56 #

Thank you for your kind comment. We are happy to hear that you found our lessons useful in your Thai learning. Hope you continue to follow our videos in the future as well. Keep practicing. 🙂

2. warren 10/12/2015 at 15:55 #

Hello mod. I enjoy your lessons very much. I would like to wak why Paer uses the word “ชั้น” for the female “I” rather than “ฉัน” how I usually see it written. Thank you for teaching me the most beautiful language in the world.

• Mod 18/12/2015 at 22:25 #

Sawatdii ka Warren, in conversational Thai, the word ‘I’ for female speaker is pronounced with ‘high tone’ in stead of ‘rising tone’ which sounds old-fashioned. Thus this word is often spelled ชั้น to match the current pronunciation. 🙂

3. Chan 22/03/2015 at 10:06 #

Hello Mod. Thanks for your advise to watch thai movies with eng subtitle.
    Ok I will watch as you said. The next one i would like to ask you that
    Is there your role play which you teach relating to Thai clause and
    Thai phrase. If your are ok to teach I would like to study how can I make
    Thai clause and Thai Phrase.

Have a nice day.
    Chan
    Q hotel
    Resceptionist

4. Chan 14/03/2015 at 17:52 #

Hello Mod
    So thanks to you. Whenever I got the free time I watch your role play.
    Day by day, I can speak Thai Language to some extend.
    May I ask some question, should I watch Thai movies so that to be more understand
    Thai Language.

• Mod 21/03/2015 at 12:27 #

Sawatdee ka Chan, thank you for watching my lessons. I am happy to hear that you found them useful. 🙂 I recommend you to watch Thai movies, perhaps start with the ones with English subtitle. 🙂

5. jarmo palmu. 19/10/2014 at 02:21 #

hi Kroo mod. I’m a Finnish man and I have been following your training videos. I have one problem. Finnish and English grammar is so diffrent, for me, will be difficult to learn the Thai language. because I have to think about it first in English and then in Finnish. . do you have any idea how I could better learn the Thai language. you are really a good teacher, I like your videos.

all the best to you both mood and pearl.

• Mod 05/03/2015 at 12:05 #

Sawatdee ka Jarmo, you can start with review and multiple exposures to the same material and try to ‘hear’ Thai sound more often. The important part is don’t be afraid to use what you already learned from the lessons in real life. 🙂

6. Bob 13/10/2014 at 01:28 #

Congratulations, you both and others…

You are getting more and more professional in constructing your video.

I like it very much

and

you both are beautiful.

This way, learning Thai with you is so enjoyable.

Thank you!

7. Richard 12/10/2014 at 10:11 #

phom choop videos khun maak.

8. jay 25/09/2014 at 04:34 #

A brilliant lesson. I love it – especially, Mod you are a kind and diplomatic host. Can it be true – you let Pear win purposely 🙂 Fare พร้อมพงษ์ to เอกมัย is 22 baht, times 2 = 44 baht Taxi really cheaper ? 🙂 ok – it depends where you start 🙂 question: in your colloquial language( sec 0.47 1.04 and 1.16) it sounds for me as if you said ก็ดา or ก็ดะ instead of ก็ได้ is it right ? excellent Job both of you Best wishes เจ