From “Testicle Shrinking Cliff” To “Erect Penis Stone”

2 DAYS 1 NIGHT in Chaiyaphum

Every year in the early part of the rainy season from June to August in Chaiyaphum province, Siam Tulip, or Dok Krachiao ดอกกระเจียว, blossoms to full bloom. A good friend of mine asked me to join the trip to see the flowers during a long weekend, I also asked teacher Pear to join and here is our journey.

Chaiyaphum is a province in Northeastern of Thailand. It is next to Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat) and around 260-350km from Bangkok,depending on which district you are heading to.

It was a trip of four girls. We hired a minivan with a guide and left Bangkok at 11:30 PM on Thursday night.

DAY 1: Phu Laenkha National Park

Mor Hin Khao (มอหินขาว) aka the Stonehenge of Thaialnd”  is located in Phu Lan Kha National Park (อุทยานแห่งชาติภูลานคา) . It is a plateau of large rocks scattered in strange and rare shapes similar to mushrooms, boats, elephants, turtles and chedis. These rocks are assumed to be over a hundred million years old.

Chaiyaphum3

Chaiyaphum2

(Photo credit : Tripbackpacker)

We arrived here around 6 A.M. and we were the only group of visitors which I really enjoyed. It was a great opportunity to take a deep breath of clean air, enjoy the amazing scenery with nobody around, and listen to the sound of the nature. The weather was pretty cool, and a little bit windy. It was a welcome change coming from busy and hot Bangkok.

The highlight of the area is a group of giant rocks consisting of five stone columns standing 12 meters tall. According to the legend, every Buddhist holy night there is white light shining from these five stones so people call this place “Mor Hin Khao” translated as  ‘white stone hill’.

มอ /mor/ is Northeastern dialect meaning ‘hill’
หิน /hǐn/ means ‘rock, stone’

ขาว /kăao/ means ‘white’

I was amazed; I didn’t know we had such things in Thailand. I stood before those rocks and tried to imagine what it was like million years ago – it was simply stunning!

Chaiyaphum1

Chaiyaphum4

Chaiyaphum8

After having simple breakfast here, we continued to our next destination, waterfall.

Tad Tone Waterfall น้ำตกตาดโตน

Tat Tone National Park is located near Mor Hin Khao (about 20 km). The park covers the area around 217.18 sq. km. with the famous Tat Tone Waterfall, one of the most beautiful waterfalls in North Eastern region. The Waterfall is about six meters high and 50 meters wide. However, this year the water is less than usual due to a little rain.

You can swim in the cool water here, but we just chilled out and enjoy each other’s company with some light snack before we headed to see the flower field.

NamTok

Sai Thong National Park

The Sai Thong National Park (อุทยานแห่งชาติไทรทอง) covers 340 square kilometers of Phang Hoei mountain range (เทือกเขาพังเหย). It is the source of many rivers and creeks which are tributaries of the Chi River alongside dry evergreen forests.

We couldn’t take our minivan up to the top because of the twisted and narrow road, so we had to switch to the pickup truck. It was a fun ride with cool wind blasting our faces whilst traveling through the big forest.

Chaiyaphum6

A highlight here is “Pa Hum Hod Cliff viewpoint (ผาหำหด) The Testicle Shrinking Cliff”. It is the summit of the Phang Hoei mountain range, 864 metres above sea level.

The name ‘Hum Hod หำหด’ (หำ /hŭm/ is the Northeastern dialect meaning ‘testicle’, หด /hòt/ means ‘shrink’) The idea is if you stand on it – and have balls- fear will shrivel your manhood!!

There were few people queuing for photos on the cliff. Just looking at them sitting down on the edge gave me sweaty palms. I am sacred of heights, but since I was there I decided to conquer my fear and step on the cliff. Pear and I sat down together with our legs hanging down; I could feel the cool wind blowing my feet! It was an exciting experience and the view here was amazing!

Pa Hum Hod

Chaiyaphum9

We then walked through the forest to the first spot where Siam Tulips grow; “ทุ่งบัวสวรรค์ Thung Bua Sawan” or “ทุ่งดอกกระเจียว Thung Dok Krachiao”. There are five fields up here but the most visited are Thung Bua Sawan 1 and 2.  Two colors of flower (pink and white) are found here.

SiamTulip1

We were told that there was less rain this year, so the flowers in this field bloomed later than usual. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the walk and talk with my friends through the forest and spotted some wild mushrooms.

Chaiyaphum7

DAY 2: Pa Hin Ngam National Park อุทยานแห่งชาติป่าหินงาม

[1] Pa Sud Paen Din viewpoint ผาสุดแผ่นดิน

It is perched on a 846-meter-high cliff overlooking Petchabun province. It’s called “สุดแผ่นดิน Sud Paen Din” (the end of the land) as this is the point where the Isaan plateau meets the central plains. The panorama view here is gorgeous.

Chaiyaphum10

[2] Siam Tulip Flower field ทุ่งดอกกระเจียว

Just a few hundred meters from Sud Paen Din viewpoint, we reached a two-rai field of Siam Tulip flowers. There is a 1 km paved pathway going through the field which is blanketed with the exceptional beauty of these pinkish-purple flowers. It was so pretty that I imagined my friends and I were angels running around in heaven.

SiamTulip3

SiamTulip4

The entry into the ground is prohibited, we saw a couple of kids with their father walking in there and touching the flowers. Teacher Pear got a little bit upset about that.

SiamTulip5

[3] Lan Hin Ngam

“ลานหินงาม Lan Hin Ngam” (translated as ‘beautiful rock plain’) is another important attraction of this national park. You can see the various sizes of stones eroded by wind and rain over millions of years. The shapes of these stones will give you plenty of room for your imagination.

The highlights of this plain are the FIFA World Cup look a like rock, radar rock, a serpent’s head , Mor Hum Tang. We were told that anyone who is single and wants to find a partner should touch the ‘มอหำตั้ง Mor Hum Tang‘ rock. When we first heard the name, we burst out laughing because ‘หำ hum‘ is Norhteastern dialect meaning ‘testicle, penis’ and ‘ตั้ง Tang‘ means ‘erect’. And when we saw the real rock, we were amazed that it looks exactly as described. lol

Mor Hum Tang

FIFA cup

FIFA cup

This trip was refreshing for me & my friends and I am grateful to have seen many amazing things created by nature – flowers, forest, cliffs, and rocks.  I look forward to exploring more cool places in Thailand and sharing the experience with you!

UPDATE: Siam Tulip Festival 2015

11270205_10153275171200699_6064379354037044031_o

Learning Thai Key Point:

อุทยานแห่งชาติ /ùt-tá-yaan hàeng châat/ National park

หิน  /hǐn/ stone, rock

ผา /păa/ cliff

ทุ่ง /tûng/ field

ลาน /laan/ plain

น้ำตก /náam-dtòk/ waterfall

YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN:

42 Responses to From “Testicle Shrinking Cliff” To “Erect Penis Stone”

1. Ronnie 20/05/2015 at 12:42 #

Sawasdee krap Khruu Mod. When I was working in Thailand on a project for 2 years I was able to pick up some Thai but since coming back to Malaysia over 2 years ago, I have forgotten a lot of the Thai language that I have picked up while working with the locals. Your lessons have been good in helping me to remember what I have learned those many years ago. 🙂

2. Chuck M. 19/05/2015 at 23:55 #

Enjoyed reading your travelogue. My wife and I have visited Thailand seven times in the last ten years – and next time we will hopefully follow the same itinerary as you did. Thank you for the information – and for your assistance in learning some Thai words and phrases.

• Mod 18/07/2015 at 12:39 #

Thank you for your comment. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed my post and found my lessons useful in your Thai learning. 🙂

3. William Russell 12/05/2015 at 18:50 #

Sawatdee Khrap, I have been in Nan Thailand since January 15, when I arrived and got married the same day. I would love to learn enough Thai so as to be able to communicate with my wife and family, but it is difficult as I am now 62, just turned 62 May 8th. If there are any easy lessons to be able to remember, please let me know as remembering is the most difficult for me. I have gone through the first 6 lessons in the Thai alphabet, and it is getting more and more difficult to remember the letters. I thought I had it rough with 21 consonants and 5 vowels, with Thai it is 44 consonants, 32 vowels, and 5 tones, I really hope to pick up Thai soon as I am feeling left out of most of the conversations. Thank you for your wonderful website.

4. varun 24/12/2014 at 02:35 #

Hope my girlfriend could learn English but she is not interested to learn a bit.

5. varun 24/12/2014 at 02:34 #

Hi,

Hope I learn Thai slowly after going through your nice collection of videos.

• Mod 05/03/2015 at 10:50 #

Sawatdee ka, thank you for watching my videos. Keep practicing! 🙂

6. Micheal 16/09/2014 at 12:10 #

Thanx Teacher Mood, You are the best.

7. haitran 13/08/2014 at 19:04 #

Mod very beautiful and atractive

8. Douglas 30/07/2014 at 21:21 #

Mod, do you also hire your services as a tour guide? You are very talented and descriptive. Then you should combine your two services, “Learn Thai with Mod and tour”. What a great way to see the sights of beautiful Thailand while learning the Thai language. I will be your first customer.

9. Ryosuke Kikuchi 30/07/2014 at 19:50 #

I’ve been in Thailand over 2 years and just visited some popular spot as sightseeing such as Bangkok,Chaing Mai,Phuket and Ayutthaya but I’ve never heard of this place before I read the article.
    It’s good webpage not only for studying but for getting some information in Thailand.

Thank you.
    Khob Khun krab,Krub Mod and Pear.
    Have a great day.

• Mod 04/08/2014 at 13:09 #

Sawatdee ka kun Ryosuke, thank you for reading my article. I am happy to hear that you like my website. 🙂

10. kapila 25/07/2014 at 19:03 #

its very different kind of stone thanks for this picture

11. Art 24/07/2014 at 03:07 #

Great photos. Thanks Mod.
    My late Thai wife used to call our male cat, “buck hum noi”. Very funny indeed.

12. corbin 23/07/2014 at 00:46 #

Okay, you guys are having way too much fun in the picture with Mor Hum Tang rock,
    just kidding 🙂
    Chaiyaphum looks gorgeous. I am making my first trip to Thailand in September, and I hope the flowers will still be around at that time, thank you for the idea.
    Wonderful pictures…beautiful nature and smiles.
    Also, love the ebook, but the videos are the best..I have learned so much from them,
    Thank you Mod and Pear!

• Mod 06/08/2014 at 15:09 #

Sawatdee ka Corbin,

Welcome to Thailand in advance. I am sure you will have a GREAT time here:) However, I am afraid the flowers would already be gone by September, but don’t worry because there are plenty of other places to explore. Have fun! 🙂

Best wishes,
      Mod

13. shane 22/07/2014 at 10:15 #

Hi Mod

Great travel photos. You are doing a great job promoting Thailand, its language & culture.

Regards
    Shane

14. Richard 19/07/2014 at 13:00 #

Very nice pix and informative, i hope one day i can go visit!

15. Scott Gordon 18/07/2014 at 01:14 #

Well, that was really nice , thank you . The pictures great , dialogue cool , very informative too .

And the ledge out sat on , excellent . The name is interesting , maybe in the past , only men went out there . I was wondering what effect it would have on ladies .
    And the tulips growing wild , looks very wet and marshy there .
    I prefer something different and this is a pleasant diversion .
    I stand corrected if I say ‘ Not much English spoken in the area ‘ Which is certainly not a criticism . It is Thailand , not England 🙂
    And I must follow more of your lessons .
    Thank you .

16. Masa 17/07/2014 at 20:51 #

Hi, Mod. I enjoy your Thai language class by video. I like the way you teach it. Especially I love your English, sounds and sentences. So I have enjoyed this story, too. Hoping see you in Thai, somewhere, someday.

• Mod 17/07/2014 at 21:56 #

Sawatdee ka Masa, thank you for your kind words about my videos. I am happy to hear that you found them useful in your Thai learning. Also thank you for reading my article, good to hear that you enjoyed it. 🙂

17. Jui Peow 17/07/2014 at 20:00 #

Very nice place, thank you for your introduction, hoping to go there soon.

• Mod 17/07/2014 at 21:55 #

Thank you for reading my post, glad to hear that you enjoyed it. 🙂

18. Gérard 17/07/2014 at 19:24 #

Mor Hum Tang is very realistic ; thank you for your interesting trips in Thailand

last year I move to Sri Mahaphot, and I intend to visit Issan and Chaiyapoum province: now
    I know where to go

ขอบคุณมากครับ

ps: how to insert smileys in a reply ?

• Mod 17/07/2014 at 21:54 #

Sawatdee ka Gerard, thank you for reading my article. I am happy that you found it useful for your traveling.

As for the smileys, just type the symbol : and ) next to each other and you will get –> 🙂

19. Tatiana 17/07/2014 at 16:47 #

Wow, what a stone! 😀
    Thanks, it is very interesting

• Mod 17/07/2014 at 18:02 #

Thank you for reading my article. I am happy to hear that you found it interesting. 🙂

20. David Michael 17/07/2014 at 15:11 #

My wife and I got away to Nakhon Ratchasima and Buriram for a few days over the recent holiday weekend. We went to Phanom Rung and Mueng Tam as well as Khao Yai National Park. All great places for photos. I really enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing your fun times with everyone!

• Mod 17/07/2014 at 18:04 #

Sawatdee ka kun David, I have been wanting to visit Phanom Rung for a long time but I haven’t had a chance. I love Khao yai. Thank you for reading my article. I am happy to hear that enjoyed it. 🙂

21. Cookie 17/07/2014 at 14:47 #

lol, “Cock Rock”…

22. Jeff 16/07/2014 at 16:48 #

I looked up ลาน in a dictionary and came up with 20 different meanings. I am sure that some are obscure. Are there other common meanings for ลาน?

• Mod 17/07/2014 at 18:02 #

The other common meanings are;
      [1] ‘open space’ like ลานบ้าน courtyard, ลานสกี ski area, ลานจอดรถ outdoor parking lot
      [2] ลานตา to be dazzled

23. Tony 15/07/2014 at 10:49 #

Hi Mod,

I have a real shrinking cliff idea for you. If you are free for lunch or dinner, let’s go to the Sala Rattanakosin to eat. I have never been there before and I am in Bangkok for a few days and would like to treat you if you are able. Of course you may bring a friend along if that suits you.

24. David 14/07/2014 at 00:46 #

Thankyou for sharing your weekend getaway. Looks to be a beutifull place with interesting natural beuty Looks like you girls had lots of fun X

• Mod 17/07/2014 at 18:08 #

We did have a great time! Thank you for reading my article. 🙂

25. Sean 13/07/2014 at 18:07 #

Thanks Mod, that was very interesting.

• Mod 17/07/2014 at 18:07 #

Thank you for reading my article. 🙂