VIDEO : How to Ask Someone Out

When you want to ask someone out to do something together with you or going somewhere together, like in English you would say “Shall we…?” in Thai language we use a very simple pattern below;

ไป bpai  + do something / somewhere + กันมั้ย /gan mái/?

For instance;

ไปกินข้าวกันมั้ย

bpai gin kâao gan mái?

Shall we go to get something to eat?

To eat in general (not specify what to eat) in Thai is กินข้าว gin kâao

กิน gin (to eat) , ข้าว kâao (rice) ; we say eat rice (although we’re going to eat noodles or non rice dish) because Thai people mainly eat rice,

ไปดูหนังกันมั้ย

bpai duu năng gan mái?

Shall we go to watch a movie?

ดู duu (to watch, to look at), หนัง năng (movie, film)

ไปเกาะเสม็ดกันมั้ย

bpai gò Samet gan mái?

Shall we go to Samet island?

เกาะ gò (island)

(Samet island is my favourite destination for a short getaway 🙂 )

This lesson is too easy, isn’t it? Keep practicing! 🙂

11 Responses to VIDEO : How to Ask Someone Out

1. Andrew 23/07/2015 at 13:25 #

Is there a big difference between saying กันมั้ย and “guntuh” (sorry, no Thai keyboard on my computer, only my phone). I guess guntuh is like says “Let’s (do something)” and gun mai is like “Shall we (do something)” so it’s less forceful?

2. walter 03/06/2015 at 03:22 #

hello mod

i really enjoy your way of smart teaching, i never see a teacher like that, and believe me i
    had a lot of then.

go further on

walter

• Mod 18/07/2015 at 12:19 #

Sawatdee ka Walter, thank you for your kind comment. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed my lessons. 🙂

3. Ady 07/06/2014 at 15:26 #

Hiya Mod

Do you have a bf? If not, how do I ask you out?

Later, baked potata

Ady

4. Sky 31/05/2014 at 01:46 #

Khun chawp bpai tee-oh guhp pohm mai? ..Is this right?
    How would you ask a girl if she want to go out with you? 🙂

• Mod 02/06/2014 at 22:09 #

want = อยาก yàak , so you would say “kun yàak bpai-tîao gàp pŏm mái?” 🙂

5. firdous 30/05/2014 at 23:14 #

Hi mod..sawatde krab..
    hope you are well…enjoyed your instructional videos very much. ..
    I have a question, is it true when a lady complete a sentence with “krab” instead of “ka” while conversing with a guy, it means that she has special feelings for him..
    the reason I am asking is because my thai friend who is a girl nowadays end her conversation with “krab”..I asked her about it and she told me to research about it lol…
    I am liking her too..and I think the feeling is mutual..so is it true that she is intrested in me?

I would appreciate if you could throw some light about this cute matter of mine 🙂

Take care and have a nice weekend

• Mod 02/06/2014 at 22:11 #

Sawatde ka, in my personal opinion I don’t think it has t do with special feelings. Usually a girl would use “krab” when talking to a young boy. I am not sure if there are other reasons. Perhaps you should ask her again for the right answer. Good luck:)

• mike 27/06/2014 at 00:55 #

and sometimes girls are not girls !
      “my thai friend who is a girl nowadays “