15 Common Thai Superstitions and Beliefs

If you are familiar with the Thai culture or have Thai friends, I am sure you know that all Thai people are grown up with superstitious beliefs and taboos. Some are still believed to be true, and some are now used to tease friends. Although I don’t really believe in any superstitions, I think these are worth sharing.

1. ห้ามตัดผมวันพุธ Do not cut the hair on Wednesday. I have a post about this superstition in detail here.

No hair Cut on Wednesday

2. ชิ้นสุดท้ายแฟนหล่อ Lucky person finish the last piece

If you get to eat the last piece of food in the plate when sharing with your friends , you will get a handsome boyfriend or good looking girlfriend.

Thai Belief

3. จิ้งจกทัก ห้ามออกจากบ้าน Don’t leave home if you hear a gecko!

If you hear a gecko before you leave your home, it is a sign that you will experience bad incident. The lizard is warning you that something bad will happen to you, so you should stay inside.

Credit photo: mythland.org

4.  ฝันว่างูรัดจะเจอเนื้อคู่  If you dream of a snake, you will meet your soul mate.

If you dream about snakes wrapping itself around your body that means your soul mate is on his/her way! In the case you already have a girlfriend, boyfriend, or are already married and you dreamt that you found a snake, someone is having a crush on you!

5. เขม่นตา ขวาร้าย ซ้ายดี if you right eye twitches it means something bad is going to happen to you, but if it is the left eye you will have good luck.

6. ห้ามร้องเพลงขณะกินข้าว To single ladies: do not sing while cooking or eating, or you will end up with an old husband! This taboo came from the fact that the rice will be burnt (rice cookers didn’t exist in the old time, and people had to use coal) or you will accidently cut yourself with the kitchen knife if you don’t pay attention while cooking. This taboo was used to scare ladies working in the kitchen, as ladies at that time usually feared getting old husbands.

7. บีบแตรผ่านหน้าศาลหรือโค้งร้อยศพ  Honk when driving pass the shrine or curve

Thai drivers believe that when driving pass a shrine or a curve that had many accidents, you should honk to show respect to the souls living in that area. This belief actually just makes people alert when driving through a dangerous curve.

8. มองลอดขาจะเห็นผี You will see a ghost if you bend down and look between your legs. ( I have never tried to do this myself, I am too scared! )

9. อย่าชมว่าเด็กน่ารัก Never say a baby is cute because a ghost will come and take it away, so Thai people will compliment a cute baby with the expression “น่ารักน่าชัง nâa-rák nâa-chang” (adorable and unpleasant)

10. อย่าชี้รุ้งกินน้ำ Your finger will fall off if you point at a rainbow.

อาการจาม

11. ถ้าจามแปลว่ามีคนคิดถึง If you sneeze, it means someone is missing you or someone is talking about you.

12. If you are talking about someone and suddenly he/she shows up or hear from him/her, it means that person will live long. Thai people say ตายยาก /dtaai yâak/ like in English expression that says ‘speaking of the devil’.

13. Always consult the monk or fortune teller to get the good date (in Thai is called ฤกษ์ rêrk) for wedding or taking a new car out of the showroom , prior to installing the foundation pile for a new house, and arrange house warming party. Some new-generation Thai might not believe in the above superstitions, but most Thai sees this practice very important.

พิธีพราหมณ์

Credit photo: hs.cru.in.th

My friend’s family strongly believes this kind of thing, they even have a family’s fortune teller who tells if a person is suitable to be a son or daughter-in-law of the family. My friend had to stop seeing her boyfriend because their fortunes didn’t match.

14. It’s raining cats and dogs

Some believe that virgin women have a special power to prevent rain from pouring!  If you don’t want to have a rainy day , you can give a virgin lady a lemongrass and ask her to stick it onto the ground (This ritual is called ปักตะไคร้ bpàk dtà-krái). The sun will shine all day (and you can also check if one is virgin) Amazing no?

พระเครื่อง

15. Most visitors to Thailand might have noticed that many Thai people wear amulets (พระเครื่อง prá-krûeang). Amulets are special Buddha images, often gold-plated or silver plated and worn around the neck. They are believed to possess a variety of sacred powers such as the ability to protect the wearer from accident or illness.

Do you have similar belief in your culture? I am interested to know. 🙂

22 Responses to 15 Common Thai Superstitions and Beliefs

1. Michael 14/02/2016 at 06:49 #

Superstition item 15 is interesting. I told my fiancee to be extra safe when I was away (I am in America until her visa is processed) and she has been wearing an amulet ever since. She had never worn it before, but now it makes sense.

2. crystal-reading.com 27/07/2015 at 23:59 #

Great psychic work! This is the kind of info that should be shared across
    the net. Thanks =)

3. เคนนีหร์อ 19/01/2015 at 01:39 #

Sawasdeekab arjan mid…
    We, the Chinses believes the same as your #5 #8 & #9…
    But for #5 we believe the other way as left twicks mean bad luck & right is good luck…

Glad to know more into thai cultures & believes na kab…

Kob kun maak kab for sharing infos

4. Galen 20/12/2014 at 12:26 #

I like the one about the frond door and the back door of any business should not be in direct alignment. If they are, this means the money that comes into a business will leave the business through the back door as easily as it came in the front. I learned this a few year ago when we were remodeling a business.

• Mod 05/03/2015 at 10:57 #

Thank you for sharing this interesting information. 🙂

5. Michael Saw 17/12/2014 at 16:34 #

Sawardee krub Khru Mod. Quite similar superstitious to those Chinese beliefs. Thank you for sharing. Almost heading for haircut today.

• Mod 05/03/2015 at 10:50 #

Sawatdee ka Micael, thank you for reading my post and sharing information about your culture as well. 🙂

6. Annelisa 17/12/2014 at 16:25 #

I was an exchange student in Thailand and at school my class mates told me that you see ghosts when you stand under an umbrella if it’s not raining. Is that a common superstition? What does it mean?

• Mod 05/03/2015 at 10:52 #

I have never heard of that believe before, but I have heard that if you look back between your legs while standing at night time, you might see ghosts.

• bethani 13/10/2015 at 07:07 #

hi its so cool that im actualy sending some one this message
      who was actually went to school in Thailand

• Mod 14/10/2015 at 10:27 #

I am happy to hear that you enjoy my post. Thank you for visiting my website.:)

7. SANDY 29/07/2014 at 13:09 #

hi, do you know any accurate fortunetellers in Bangkok? 🙂

• Mod 04/08/2014 at 13:11 #

Sawatdee ka Sandy, I am sorry I don’t know any.I will ask my friends. 🙂

8. vee 11/05/2014 at 19:12 #

sawasdeeka~~
    im rereading ur blog to prepare for my visit on dec and found this post. it’s a surprise that malaysia n thailand hv very similar superstitious beliefs!:) but then again, our ancestors r mainly from thai…make sense! ihihi~

• Mod 14/05/2014 at 23:52 #

Sawatdee ka Vee, thank you for visiting my website. Hope you find it useful.

Welcome to Thailand in advance!

9. divination 08/02/2014 at 02:16 #

In their deck, the Fool represents more of the potential of
    the blank slate of humanity, and our inherent possibilities for growth
    than the foolishness village idiot of earlier decks.
    Reading tarots cards for yourself and others may seem difficult at first but once you master these tarot card reading steps
    and use them you will find that reading tarot cards will become easier and
    will feel more natural as you will know what you are doing and what to look
    out for whilst doing tarot card readings.
    These are all situations that we may have had to suffer through without any guidance.

10. Lee 30/10/2013 at 23:25 #

Who is the fortune teller?

11. steve 03/06/2013 at 21:31 #

My Thai Wife had smelt burning Insense 2 days ago. But there was none burning. Now 2 days later she smelt it again.
    What does this all mean. Could someone please help me with this.

Thank you!

12. Lisa 23/10/2012 at 19:19 #

I know there are many superstitions about construction of buildings, ghosts, and the land spirits. What happens if a worker is killed while a building is under construction? Sadly this just happened across the street from me (in Chiang Mai). What will happen with the building? I’m not sure if it is to be a house or an office.

• Tim 17/12/2014 at 18:53 #

Wow, I just came across this post from my wife two years later. I can answer the question now. Monks came to bless the house and a couple weeks later they started building again. And two years later they are still not finished building the house!

13. Kevin Henriksen 28/09/2012 at 21:33 #

What about the superstitions about pointing at a rainbow and getting rich from seeing a water monitor?