Last month I shared the recipe for the famous “Thai iced tea” my mom taught me. For those who don’t like milk, there are other cold Thai tea drinks you might like to try.
1. Dark Thai iced tea [ชาดำเย็น : Cha Dam Yen] is Thai tea served chilled with no milk content, sweetened with sugar only. If you like it hot then order Dark Thai hot tea (ชาดำร้อน : Cha Dam Ron)
- 1 black tea bag
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup ice
- 2/3 cup water
- Boil water, then brew tea for at least 2 minutes. Remove tea bag.
- Add sugar and stir. Let cool.
- Put ice in a glass and pour cooled tea in.
2. Lime Thai tea [ชามะนาว: Cha Ma Now] is similar to Cha Dam Yen, but flavored with lime as well as sweetened with sugar. Mint leaves may also be added.
The recipe and the preparation are the same as Cha Dam Yen, just add lime juice according to your taste. You can also decorate your drink with a thin slice of lime 🙂
**Thai language tip: If you prefer your drink unsweetened, you can order your drink by adding the phrase ไม่หวาน [mâi wăan] meaning ‘not sweet’ , or ไม่ใส่น้ำตาล [mâi sài nám-dtaan] meaning ‘don’t add sugar’ after your order 🙂
Have you tried these drinks before? Let me know how you liked them.
Photos credit: Asianwok