VIDEO: 20 Basic Thai Lessons for Beginners

Sawatdee ka Thai language learners,

If you would like to start to learn basic Thai from zero, these 10 Basic Thai lessons will help you get started nicely.

(PLEASE SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube channel) :)

The Playlist for all 20 lessons:

Lesson1: Getting to Know Thai Consonants’ sounds

Lesson 2: Understanding Five Thai Tones

Lesson 3: Have Fun with Thai Tones

Lesson 4: How to Greet in Thai

Lesson 5: Basic Useful Words

Lesson 6: How to Great like a Real Thai

Lesson 7 : Saying Goodbye Like a Real Thai

Lesson 8: Thai Numbers

Lesson 9 : Practice “Ng” Pronunciation

Lesson 10 : How to form Yes/No Questions

I hope you found my lessons useful in your Thai learning. More lessons are coming! (Introduce yourself, how to order food, shopping and Bargain etc.) please be patient and stay tuned.

Please don’t forget to subscribe. Kop kun ka:)

, ,

33 Responses to VIDEO: 20 Basic Thai Lessons for Beginners

1. Htun Thein Maung 05/06/2015 at 23:31 #

I am sincerely thank you MOD for your video lessons. I am not good in english and i want to learn thai speaking like a thai. Now; i am starting to learn thai speaking.Thanks you MOD.

• Mod 18/07/2015 at 12:18 #

Thank you for your kind comment. I am happy to hear that you found my lessons useful in your Thai leaning.

Keep practicing. :)

2. Mona 10/03/2015 at 17:50 #

How do you say that you want garlic in Your Food?

• Mod 21/03/2015 at 12:37 #

You can make this request by saying ใส่กระเทียมด้วยค่ะ sài grà-tiam dûai kâ (Please add garlic). :)
      – Garlic in Thai is “กระเทียม /grà-tiam/”
      – To add, to put’ is “ใส่ /sài/”
      – ด้วย /dûai/ is a polite particle used when asking someone to do something.

3. Hoang 14/01/2015 at 02:00 #

Hi Mod! ^^
    I am Vietnamese and I am very interested in Thai language as well as Thailand and Thai’s people & culture. So I started to learn Thai on my own some days ago. I am very happy when I find your website with helpful lessons. It helps me alot to start! Thank you very much for your instruction!

I started to learn Thai consonants and how to pronounce them…but it seems too hard to pronounce the ” r “. Could you please show me the way to move the tongue to vibrate the sound of ” r “? Thank you so much!
    Best regards!

• Mod 05/03/2015 at 10:33 #

Sawatdee ka Hoang, thank you for your comment. I am happy to hear that you found my website useful in your Thai learning. :)
      In everyday conversation, almost every Thai person change “r” to “l” sound and it is very normal to do that here. However I will make a separate video for rolling “r”. Keep practicing. :)

4. Philip Robinson 15/11/2014 at 12:43 #

Hello Mod, I would like to say how helpful I find your videos, Ive lived in Thailand 3 years and can speak a little Thai, however my problem is when Thai people speak back to me I usually find them difficult to understand, hence I have found your videos good for improving my listening skills

• Mod 05/03/2015 at 11:38 #

Sawatdee ka Philip, first of all apologies for my late response. I am happy to hear that you found my videos useful in your Thai leaning. Listening is a challenging part, but don’t give up. Keep practicing and talk to Thai people everyday will help a lot. :)

5. Pristine 26/10/2014 at 19:50 #

I like your teaching so much, but I think the consonant in Thai is 20 not 21.

• Pristine 26/10/2014 at 20:51 #

พยัญชนะไทยมีทั้งหมด 44 รูป 21เสียง

I would like to correct my comment. I would say there are 44 characters and 21 consonants in Thai language. It is not 20 consonants as you mentioned in your video. Or I miss some Thai grammar?

พยัญชนะไทยมีทั้งหมด 44 รูป

21.ห ฮ
      22.เสียง อ ไม่นับ

พยัญชนะเสียงสูง : ข ฃ ฉ ฐ ถ ผ ฝ ศ ษ ส ห

พยัญชนะเสียงกลาง : ก จ ฎ ฏ ด ต บ ป อ

พยัญชนะเสียงต่ำ : ค ฅ ฆ ง ช ซ ฌ ญ ฑ ฒ ณ ท ธ น พ ฟ ภ ม ย ร ล ว ฬ ฮ

• Mod 05/03/2015 at 11:06 #

This is correct! I made a mistake. :)

• Mod 05/03/2015 at 11:48 #

I am sorry for my mistake.

6. Thaiduke 12/10/2014 at 14:35 #

Kob khun krup khun MOD.
    Your VDOs are very helpful.
    Very kind of you.

Suggest that you publish a
    compilation of lesson & VDSs
    in a book+DVD, to further
    ‘make known’ your good work,
    and to reach a much wider audience.

Chok-di krup

• Mod 05/03/2015 at 11:06 #

Thank you for your suggestion. :)

7. Piseth Phy 25/08/2014 at 17:12 #

I absolutely like the way you teach very simple and easy for new learner to follow and pleasure with the lesson indeed. Thank a lot for your great effort to share your knowledge to the thai language learner. Withouth your commitment it hardly to gained the Thai’s language.

Wish you all the best,

Sincerely regards,

8. David 21/08/2014 at 06:03 #

You’re the best. Tackling tones is my project for the rest of the year. I’ve gotten lazy over the past few months since all my friends understand what I’m saying regardless of whether i use the correct tones or not. Need to practice more :-) Thanks Kru Mod

9. sylvia 22/07/2014 at 11:58 #

Why guys (old and young) in Thai movies or dramas refer to themselves as “chan” rather than “phom”?

• Mod 13/08/2014 at 11:54 #

They always use “chan” in Thai dramas which are usually based on old Thai novels. In the old time, men also used ‘chan’ to address themselves when talking to a younger person.

10. sandrathuy nguyen 18/06/2014 at 21:57 #

Sawatdee ka
    How are u?
    Khob khun ka is mean “thank you”.
    “I’m sorry”,”support” how speak?

11. Outi Adalberto 20/01/2014 at 03:19 #

Doumo arigatou gozaimashita Modtyan…thank you very much…

12. Dan B 10/01/2014 at 12:39 #

Hi Mod,

I want to sincerely thank you for creating your website and video series. They have been most helpful to me in learning some basic Thai language. I may move to Skype lessons when I’m a bit more confident (i.e. made more progress). I only have about 30 minutes per day to devote to language practice, but consistency and persistence will hopefully (eventually) get me where I want to be.

I visited Thailand in December and plan to come back again this year for a more extensive tour.
    Kind regards,
    ~ Dan

13. Yoedo 06/01/2014 at 23:08 #

since I come from Indonesia, of course I am not a native english speaker
    and my english is also not too good as it rarely use
    Though I am not a frequent visitor to Thailand, but I really like Thailand and want to learn something further about it

It is a fortune for me when finding your website
    I could learn something about Thailand and English at the same time ha .. ha .. ha …

Perhaps in the near future when my English is getting better then I will definitely take your private course for Thai language

This site is very helpful, thank you very much

• Mod 07/01/2014 at 23:07 #

Sawatdee ka Yoedo, thank you for your kind words. I am happy to hear that you found my website useful in your Thai learning (and English:)) Hope you continue to follow my lessons in the future as well. By the way, your English is great! We offer Skype lesson which is as efficient as in-person lesson, if you are interested we are happy to schedule you a free trial lesson. Please write me at

14. Nikolay 03/01/2014 at 15:06 #

Thank you for your work, Mod, it’s really helpful.

Finally, I could grasp the difference between tones:)

15. jay divedy 05/12/2013 at 20:25 #

I am thankfull too you kru . you are good teacher and beautiful too.

16. ana 14/06/2013 at 07:30 #

Why Can’t I watch the videos ?? :(

• Mod 14/06/2013 at 09:36 #

My YouTube Channel has been suspended. I have already submitted the copyright counter notification to YouTube, I am confident my channel will come back up in about 4 weeks.Please stay tuned : )

I have latest videos I put on vimeo here:

17. J 27/05/2013 at 14:39 #

Great site!

Basic Q I know. But Kop Khuun Krap for male I’ve often heard people not say “Krap” but “Kap”. Am I not hearing this correctly, or is it just some people not saying the word right?

Thing is though, I want to learn Thai for holiday, am going back again in 52 days, but where do I start?

I Love Thailand!!!!

• Mod 14/06/2013 at 09:38 #

Thai people often drop the rolling R sound or change it to L sound because it is easier & quicker to speak that way. :)

18. Lhu Lhu 27/04/2013 at 15:46 #

very useful! many thanks to beautiful teacher mod ;)

1. VIDEO: Say Them Right, Thai Long Vowels | Learn Thai with Mod - 08/04/2015