VIDEO : Telling the Time

For beginners, it is not complicated to tell time in Thai, take your time to go through this lesson with me. Those who are not beginners, I hope you find this lesson a good revision : )

Key expressions used the the role play:

1. นาฬิกาตาย /naa-lí-gaa dtaai/   The watch is broken.

นาฬิกา /naa-lí-gaa/ means watch or clock

ตาย /dtaai/ means  breakdown (only used with clock/watch), die

2. เดี๋ยวมื้อนี้เค้าเลี้ยงเอง /dĭao múe níi káo líang eeng/ = I’ll buy you this meal

เดี๋ยว /dĭao/ means shortlysoon [PATTERN: เดี๋ยว /dĭao/ + do something >> you will do something shortly]

มื้อ /múe/ means meal

นี้ /níi/ means this

เค้า /káo/ is a personal pronoun for ‘I’ used with a close relationship. Click here to learn more about Thai personal pronouns.

เลี้ยง /líang/ means to give someone a treat i.e. meal, movie

เอง /eeng/ is used in the pattern : do something + เอง /eeng/. It is used to convey the meaning of doing something yourself.

3. สาย /săai/ means late for the appointment

Understand how to tell time

1. Morning time (6-11 a.m.)

6-11 a.m.   = time + โมง (เช้า) moong (cháao)

2. Midday

12 p.m.      = เที่ยง tîang

3. Afternoon time

1 p.m.           = บ่ายโมง bàai moong*

2-3 p.m.     = บ่าย + time + โมง

bàai + time + moong

4.  Early Evening time

4-6 p.m.     =  time + โมง (เย็น) moong (yen)

5. Night time

7 – 11 p.m. =  1 – 5 ทุ่ม tûm

6. Midnight

12 p.m.      = เที่ยงคืน tîang- kuen

7. It’s a new day!

1 – 5 a.m. = ตี dtii + time

Half hours

Half-past the hour is expressed as HOUR TIME + ครึ่ง krûeng (‘half’)

3.30 a.m. = ตีสามครึ่ง                         dtii săam krûeng

7.30 a.m. = เจ็ดโมงครึ่ง                      jèt moong krûeng

5.30 p.m. = ห้าโมงครึ่ง                       hâa moong krûeng

Minutes to the hour are expressed as ìik (‘further, more’) + NUMBER + naa-tii (‘minutes’) + HOUR TIME

10.45 a.m. = อีกสิบห้านาทีสิบเอ็ดโมง   ìik sìp hâa naa-tii sìp èt moong

11.55 p.m. = อีกห้านาทีเที่ยง                  ìik hâa naa-tii tîang- kuen

Asking the time

To ask the time กี่โมงแล้ว gìi-moong láew? is used

To ask what time something happens or happened กี่โมง gìi-moong? is used.

กี่โมงแล้ว           gìi-moong láew?     What time is it?

รถออกกี่โมง      rót  òrk  gìi-moong? What time does the bus leave?

I hope you find this lesson useful. : )

34 Responses to VIDEO : Telling the Time

1. Jon 21/06/2014 at 11:20 #

How do you say seconds? like 11:45:35 ?

• Mod 21/06/2014 at 12:27 #

second is “วินาที wí-naa-tii” 🙂

2. Jeremiah 14/05/2014 at 14:58 #

Sawadee krap, pom mak jak prathet philippin, and I love this lesson… Very easy to learn, sanook ma krap.

Khop khun krap. :D.

• Mod 14/05/2014 at 23:49 #

Sawatdee ka Jeremiah, thank you for visiting my website and your message. I am happy to hear that you enjyed this lesson. Hope you continue to follow my lessons in the future as well. Kop kun ka.

3. chineseboy 22/02/2014 at 21:21 #

Hi mod!Thank you for your wonderful lesson, i’m really lovin’ it.

and i’m confused about one expression.

when you say”For the hours from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. the word เช้า “châao” is usually dropped, and for the hours from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. the word เย็น “yen” is usually dropped ”

what should i say”6:30 am” and “6:15 pm” in thai?

waiting for your reply!
    khorp khun maak khrap!

4. tetti 20/12/2013 at 00:50 #

awesome lesson.
    thank you very much.

5. Mark 12/08/2013 at 01:03 #

Great video, Thanks. In English, we call that big round thing a gong also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gong

• Mod 12/08/2013 at 01:06 #

Thank you for the info and for watching my lesson.I am happy to hear that you liked it. : )

6. Cliff Sullivan 16/07/2013 at 18:10 #

Thanks for the lessons khun Mod! I agree that your lessons are helpful, easy and fun to follow along with. The time has been a problem for me but I think I’ll spend a day on this one and see where it goes from there!! Thanks so much for all your work!

7. Busaba 03/07/2013 at 07:23 #

Thank you so much for explaining how to tell time in Thai. You were very helpful! I am going to be in Thailand in September and I can’t wait to tell someone the time in Thailand!

8. John 20/06/2013 at 22:46 #

Thanks. The best explanation of Thai time telling I have heard.

• Mod 22/06/2013 at 21:45 #

ขอบคุณมากค่ะคุณจอห์น 🙂

9. observer 20/06/2013 at 10:51 #

khun mod,

khop khun krub.

khun bpen kind lady.

😉

10. Mr. X 19/06/2013 at 22:22 #

Hi, after your sister tells you 4 AM, your response to her was written as “next time you better have to go” which doesn’t really mean anything. It looks like you were telling her she’d be better off not even returning home. Is that about right? Thanks. Your lessons with conversations like this one are very helpful.

• Mod 22/06/2013 at 21:53 #

I am sorry, a part of the subtitle was missing. Yes, I meant to say ‘next time you better off not even returning home”. Thank you for your correction. : )

11. John Wallace 19/06/2013 at 11:45 #

Thanks again Mod for a very clear explanation of telling Thai time.

12. fromhongkong 18/06/2013 at 02:32 #

too complicated

13. AlanRakThai 15/06/2013 at 23:32 #

Sawadee Khun Mod,

Very informative and easy to understand…I have books on learning thai but never understand the time telling part but with your explanation, now I khao jai jing jing liao krab..thanks

• Mod 15/06/2013 at 23:56 #

Sawatdee ka, I am happy to hear that my lesson helps. 🙂

14. Khun Arj 15/06/2013 at 23:28 #

Khop jai maak ka Kru Mod. 😀 Aside from being suay maak, you teach geng maak maak. I’ve always wondered about Thai time. Thank you sooo much for your fun and easy way of explaining this. I always click on your YouTube page, since I’m a subscriber. Chan siia jai maak jing jing praw mee bpen haa. (Was that right Kru?) Anyways, stay beautiful and happy always. Learning PasaThai with you will always be enjoyable.

Jer gan na kaa. Khop khun maak iik krang 😛

• Mod 15/06/2013 at 23:58 #

Thank you for your kind words. I am happy to hear that you found my lesson useful.
      Your sentence is good, you can also say’Chan siia jai maak jing jing “tii YouTube” mee bpen haa’ it sounds more like a Thai : )

15. lovethai 15/06/2013 at 22:03 #

Hi, Mod, I like the way you teach in your video so I like Pa sa thai. Hope to see you more in your web. Hope to see you in person someday too, Kuo Khun Krap.

16. Samuerl 12/06/2013 at 17:07 #

Kopkorn maak! learning a little everytime and happy to see myself improving my very basic Thai.

Pom chop paa-sa Thai!

17. Lenny 12/06/2013 at 15:16 #

Hi Mod, thank you very much for the lessons. I have read many Thai books and listen to many tapes about Telling Time in Thai but found them difficult to understand. Now, just by listening to your video, I could very well understood them. You are a great teacher, Mod. Keep it up and hope to learn more from you in future.

• Mod 15/06/2013 at 22:19 #

Sawatdee ka Lenny, I am happy to hear that you found my lesson useful. Hope you continue to follow my lessons in the future as well. kop kun ka:)

18. Rudy Lew 11/06/2013 at 22:02 #

Hi Mod, your video is awesome,please do more lessons like this in future.
    Hope your problem will solve a.s.a.p.

19. pascal 11/06/2013 at 17:20 #

Hi Mod , thank you for your knew vidéo ,i saw you have a problem on you tube” phom siia jay maak maak” hope it will go better

• Mod 11/06/2013 at 18:20 #

Thank you for watching. I hope the problem will be fixed soon. kop kun ka:)

• Pascal 17/06/2013 at 20:32 #

Sawatdii krap Mod , Khoun pen phét souûay thiisoùt khoong thawîip aasiaa !!!

20. jason 11/06/2013 at 15:16 #

So thats why Thai women can,t keep appoinments….. too many late nights and immitation timepieces

21. Elo 11/06/2013 at 03:50 #

Thank you Mod for this role play with your funny sister =) If you can, please do more dialogue like this, it’s really useful!

• Mod 11/06/2013 at 18:21 #

Thank you for watching. I am happy to hear that you liked it. I will do more similar lessons. : )

22. David วิทย์ 11/06/2013 at 00:40 #

Thank you for this lesson Khun Mod! I was always confused about telling time in Thai but you explained it very well. I think I just need to watch the video again and study my notes and I got it!

ขอบคุณมากครับ

• Mod 11/06/2013 at 18:20 #

Thank you for watching, I am happy to hear that you found it useful. Keep practicing! : )