VIDEO: Customizing Food Order

Dialogue from the video

Waitress : สวัสดีค่ะ รับอะไรดีคะ sà-wàt-dii kâ, ráp à-rai dii ká? (Hello, what would you like to order?)

Pear: เอาต้มยำกุ้งพิเศษเห็ดค่ะ ao dtôm-yam-gûng pí-sèet hèt kâ (I would like to have Spicy Prawn Soup with extra mushrooms please.)

เอาผัดผักเพิ่มกุ้งค่ะ ao pàt-pàk pêrm gûng kâ (I would like to have stir-fried vegetable and add shrimps please.)

แล้วก็ส้มตำไทยไม่ใส่ถั่วค่ะ láew-gâw sôm-dtam tai mâi sài tùa kâ (And Papaya Salad without peanuts please.)

Waitress : ส้มตำไทยไม่ใส่ถั่วนะคะ sôm-dtam tai mâi sài tùa ná ká (Papaya Salad without peanuts right?)

Pear : ค่ะ ชั้นกินถั่วไม่ได้เพราะชั้นแพ้ถั่วค่ะ kâ, chán gin tùa mâi-dâai pró chân páe tùa kâ (I can’t eat peanuts because I am allergic to it.)

Waitress :  เอาข้าวด้วยมั้ยคะ ao kâao dâui mái ká? (Would you like some rice as well?)

Pear : เอาค่ะ ao kâ (Yes, I would like that.)

Waitress  : รอซักครู่นะคะ raw sák-krûu ná ká (Please wait for a moment.)

Pear  : ขอบคุณค่ะ kàwp-kun kâ (Thank you.)

Useful Vocabulary

พิเศษ /pí-sèet/ = 1) special , 2) “พิเศษ /pí-sèet/ + food item” when want to order extra portion of a specific food item

เพิ่ม /pêrm/ = increase, add

ใส่ /sài/ = to put

แพ้ /páe/  + food or thing that you are allergic to = to be allergic to something

VIDEO: Restaurant Conversation (How to Order Food)

VIDEO: Restaurant Conversation (Making a Request)

VIDEO: Eat Like a Thai 101

VIDEO: Flavours

19 Responses to VIDEO: Customizing Food Order

1. Michel 08/08/2017 at 21:31 #

I sometimes hear thais say “kaw” (not sure how this is written) instead of ao when ordering at the restaurant. However, you did not mention this in your video. Is it because “kaw” is not a correct word to use?

I love your videos. Your pronunciation and the speed at which you speak are excellent. Unfortunately, this is rarely the case in every day life. But “practice makes perfect” as the saying goes.

• Mod 30/09/2017 at 15:51 #

“ขอ kăw” can be used when making order as well. “เอา ao” is just less formal. Both words are interchangeable for placing food order.

But if you want to make a request “ขอ kăw” is used. For example; can I have a tissue please? in Thai would be ขอทิชชู่หน่อยครับ /kăw-tít-chûu nòi kráp/

2. Bruce 22/04/2017 at 14:39 #

Love your videos! Well done – instructive and entertaining at the same time.
    I have a question that’s probably been answered somewhere already but I couldn’t find it.
    I hear both
    “Kuhn ”
    “Kruh ”
    Are these two different words or just a different pronunciation of the same?

• Mod 24/04/2017 at 15:22 #

Thank you for your comment. I am happy to hear that you found our videos useful in your Thai learning.

The word คุณ [khun] is put before first names or nicknames when refer to others, or when it is used as second or third person pronouns. It is used to address both males and females of similar or higher status in formal situation.

For example; Mr. Totsapol Thaitrong and Mrs. Suchanun Thaitrong will be known as Kun Totsapol and Kun Suchanun.

Don’t use คุณ [kun] before your own name when you refer to yourself.

As for the second word I assume that you are talking about the word ครู /kruu/. It means ‘teacher’, ‘instructor’.

3. Dj51 14/04/2017 at 04:17 #

My favorite of your videos. Well done and thank you!

• Mod 24/04/2017 at 15:24 #

We are happy to hear that you found this lesson useful in your Thai learning. Keep practicing.:)

4. Brandon 06/04/2017 at 11:45 #

Thank you guys for all the lessons. They have been very helpful to me in learning how to communicate in Thailand. : )

• Mod 09/04/2017 at 10:49 #

We are happy to hear that you found our lessons useful in your Thai learning. Hope you continue to follow our lessons i nthe future as well. 🙂

5. Pipo 09/03/2017 at 16:20 #

6. Brian 03/03/2017 at 02:21 #

Hi. Great video. I am new to your videos but whenever i go to Thailand i always hire a car so a video with filling up with petrol, breaking down or flat tyre with be useful to me. You may have already done this but i have not seen one.
    Love the way and the time you take to explain things
    ,You make the best Thai language videos i have seen.
    Keep it up.
    Brian.

• Mod 09/04/2017 at 10:53 #

Thank you for your suggestion. We have not done this yet. That is a good idea!

7. Ron Manning 02/03/2017 at 15:15 #

please let me learn isan Kru Pear and kru Mod your vidio was a great help to me please help me even more with much more isan dialect
    Ron Manning.

8. Tina 01/03/2017 at 19:06 #

Thank you Mod and Pear for this excellent video. It is very helpful!!! And your prononciation as well explanation are very clear for foreigners to learn. Please keep going on!

• Mod 09/04/2017 at 10:59 #

Thank you for your kind comment. We are happy to hear that you found our lesson useful in your Thai learning. 🙂

9. Minsung 01/03/2017 at 17:15 #

Thank you for the Video!!
    I hope I could see you more often 55

• Mod 09/04/2017 at 10:59 #

We also hope to have more time to make lessons regularly.

10. Si Min 01/03/2017 at 16:20 #

Chan ben kon Singapore, gamlang rian pasar thai. Just want to say a big THANK YOU for all your videos. They are very helpful and both Kru Mod and Kru Pear acts very well.

• Mod 09/04/2017 at 11:00 #

Kop kun maak ka! Thank you for your kind comment. We are happy to hear that you found our videos useful in your Thai learning. 🙂

11. Bav 01/03/2017 at 16:01 #

Very glad to have found this website. ขอบคุณมาก