VIDEO: Thai Future Tense

Sawatdee ka,

Actions that occur in the future (will/going to + verb/verb phrase) can be phrased using the pattern :

subject + จะ jà + verb / verb phrase

Example:

พรุ่งนี้เขาจะทำอาหาร

prûng-níi káo tam aa-hăan

Tomorrow she will cook.

พรุ่งนี้เขาจะไม่มาทำงาน

prûng-níi káo mâi maa tam-ngaan

Tomorrow he will not come to work.

แม่จะไปดูคอนเสิร์ตเย็นนี้

mâe bpai duu concert yen-níi

Mom is going to a concert this evening.

Note 1 :  ‘will not’, ‘not going to’ in Thai is จะไม่  jà mâi + verb/ verb phrase (I have head some people said it another way around ไม่จะ [ mâi jà] which is not correct

Note 2: Word of time i.e. พรุ่งนี้ [prûng-níi] tomorrow, เย็นนี้[yen-níi] this evening can be put at the start or at the end of the sentence.

Questions in future tense is phrased using this pattern:

subject + จะ jà + verb / verb phrase + Question word?

Exmaple:

คุณจะทำอะไร

kun tam à-rai ?

What will you do?

คุณจะไปไหน

kun bpai năi?

Where are you going?

Note: ‘Where?’ in Thai is ที่ไหน tîi-năi? , but it is often shorten to ไหน năi? in spoken Thai.

คุณจะไปปาร์ตี้มั้ย

kun bpai bppa-dtîi mái?

Are you going to the party?

Hope you enjoyed this lesson:)

Mod

13 Responses to VIDEO: Thai Future Tense

1. Chan 29/01/2015 at 21:23 #

First of all, i would like to say very very thank to you. Whenever i got free time i watch your video file.
    I am Myanmar. At the moment a little difficult studing thai language. But I do belive that i can speak thai language one day. Because of your deep teaching.

Thanks
    Mr Chan
    Receptionist( Q- hotel )
    Bangkok

• Mod 05/03/2015 at 09:28 #

Sawatdee ka Mr Chan, thank you for your kind words. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed my videos. Keep practicing:)

I visited Yangon and Bagan in October 2014, I had a wonderful time. Myanmar people are very friendly. 🙂

2. Ziggy 14/08/2014 at 07:39 #

Sawasdee Khap Nong Mod,

After almost twoo years,i ‘ll back goes Thailand ,,Sattahip,, , will see my friends overthere , so i will thank you at this way for your nice video’s and teaching the Thai language.

your commitment and pursuit of the translation is very instructive for us farangs.
    Its really succesfull the way you are busy..

With Friendly greethings

Pi Ziggy Belgium

• Mod 20/08/2014 at 16:45 #

Sawatdee ka Pi Ziggy,

Thank you for your kind words. I am happy to hear that you found my videos useful in your Thai learning. Pleasecontinue to follow my lessons in the future as well.

Best regards,
      Mod

• Ziggy 23/08/2014 at 03:25 #

Sawasdee Khap Nong Mod,

Thanks for your replay,

I’ll do my best ….

Friendly Greetz

Pi Ziggy

3. john 09/08/2014 at 22:33 #

dear mod
    thanks for your thai lesson, i really learn a lot from your lesson, hope your will continue doing it and sorry about my bad english.
    i watch this movie call sweet valentine and i’ve often heard one of the actor say thu eng or something like that. what i know is take care, is there any meaning other then that. thks

• Mod 13/08/2014 at 11:46 #

Sawatdee ka John, thank you for watching our my video. I am happy to hear that you found my lessons useful in your Thai learning. 🙂
      I understand your English perfectly well, don’t worry.

Regarding your question, some young Thai people also use English words including the word ‘take care’ which means exactly the same as English.

4. Jon 15/06/2014 at 12:45 #

Another video that needs to be replaced.

• Mod 15/06/2014 at 22:49 #

Sawatdee ka Jon, thank you for visiting my website. I am in the process of re-edtting my videos and re-upload to my new YouTube channel. Please kindly be patient, and check back in the future. 🙂

5. yoshi 25/06/2012 at 09:55 #

Hello Mod. I always enjoy your video.

If I say ‘I’m going go shopping. then I will buy mobile phone’.

Do I need to use ‘จะ’ both sentences?

Which is correct ‘จะไปซื้อของ แล้วก็ จะซื้อโทรศัพท์มือถือ’. or ‘จะไปซื้อของ แล้วก็ ซื้อโทรศัพท์มือถือ’.

Please give me answer. Thank you.

• Mod 25/06/2012 at 13:36 #

Sawatdee ka, thank you for watching my video. Both sentences are good, but in spoken Thai the latter one is used:)

• yoshi 25/06/2012 at 21:50 #

Thank you very much. I understand it.

6. Edouard Alain 18/06/2012 at 16:38 #

Yes i enjoy .More and more.Thank you Mod.