VIDEO: Friendly Talk

• แล้ว léao (already)

When we want to tell that something has happened already, this pattern is used:

Subject + verb + “แล้ว léaw”

แล้ว / léaw/ means ‘already’

Example:

I had breakfast already.

ผมกินข้าวเช้าแล้ว pŏm gin kâao-cháao  léaw.

He has gone back to Australia already.

เค้ากลับออสเตรเลียแล้ว káo glàp Australia láew

They booked the table already.

พสกเค้าจองโต๊ะแล้ว pûak-káo jawng dtó láew

We bought a plane ticket already.

เราซื้อตั๋วเครื่องบินแล้ว rao súe dtŭa krûeang-bin láew

• ยังไม่ yang-mâi (not yet)

When we want to tell that something has NOT happened yet, this pattern is used:

Subject + yang-mâi + verb

I haven’t had breakfast already.

ผมยังไม่กินข้าวเช้า pŏm yang-mâi gin kâao-cháao

He hasn’t gone back to Australia.

เขายังไม่กลับออสเตรเลีย káo yang-mâi glàp Australia

They haven’t booked the table.

พวกเค้ายังไม่จองโต๊ะ pûak-káo yang-mâi jawng dtó

We haven’t bought a plane ticket.

เรายังไม่จองตั๋วเครื่องบิน rao yang-mâi súe dtŭa krûeang-bin

• Have you … yet?

“already” or “not yet”

แล้วหรือยัง/รึยัง/ ยัง

léao rúe yang (formal)

rúe yang (less formal)

yang (informal)

It is used to ask questions to learn whether one has done something yet.

Someone + do something + rúe yang? / yang?

Example:

Have you had breakfast?

คุณกินข้าวเช้ารึยัง kun gin kâao-cháao  rúe yang?

Thai Culture Note:  “กินข้าวยัง /gin kâao yang?/”  is one of the phrases that I often use. This simple phrase shows what Thai culture is like. Asking you how you are is based on whether you have food in your stomach or not. The Thai way of thinking says that if you have eaten you will be happy and content. If you haven’t eaten yet, well … you need to eat soon! 🙂

Have you met her yet?

คุณเจอเค้ารึยัง kun jer káo rúe yang?

Has he gone to work yet?

เค้าไปทำงานรึยัง káo bpai tam-ngaan rúe yang?

Hope you find this lesson useful. If  you have any questions, feel free to leave it below. 🙂

, ,

8 Responses to VIDEO: Friendly Talk

1. Jon 22/05/2014 at 15:44 #

So you cannot say “gin ahan rue yang?” (eat food yet?) or “gin GAW-ahan rue yang?” (eat ANY food yet?)

But excellent lessons.

2. Mr.Kimsoen 22/05/2014 at 08:56 #

this is very good lesson that make sentences in using Thai

3. Mr.Kimsoen 22/05/2014 at 08:53 #

this is very good lesson that make sentences in using Thai

4. Jerry 21/05/2014 at 23:26 #

Hi Mod!

Sawasdee Krap !

In one of your video, you mentionned alphabet and consonants, you said that there are 44 alphabet in Thai language and 20 out if them are consonants. I am a bit confused about it as many Apps mention 44 consonants. So which is which ? Thanks for your reply

5. Bruce S 21/05/2014 at 16:06 #

Hi Mod; a bit like Gerry; I learned Thai many years ago and have decided it’s time to re-kindle my interest. I note you use the pronoun เค้า (he / she) instead of เขา. Now I haven’t been through all your lessons yet so may have missed something; but is there any particular reason you would use เค้า instead of เขา?

Thanks for your online material – wished that had been around when I was learning; much more fun than the old “type written” xerox copies I learned from.

Regards

Bruce

• Mod 02/06/2014 at 22:22 #

Sawatdee ka Bruce, thank you for watching my videos. I am happy to hear that you found my lessons useful. 🙂

I don’t know the exact reason why we change the pronunciation from เขา kăo to เค้า káo. This is not the only word that the pronunciation changes over time, there are few other words too. I assume that the word เค้า which has high tone is easier to pronounced than เขา which has rising tone. In Thai language we tend to shorten word or change the tone to an easier version. I guess it is the result of lazy speech, saying what requires the least amount of tongue and mouth movement. 🙂

Hope you continue to watch my lessons in the future as well.:)

6. Gerry 21/05/2014 at 13:50 #

A very clear explanation, thanks you.

When I had some Thai lessons many years ago, I think I was told that you just say yang for not yet.

So for “pŏm yang-mâi gin kâao krab” could you just say “yang krab,” or would that be totally wrong?

• Mod 21/05/2014 at 14:17 #

Sawatdee ka Gerry, thank you for visiting my website and watching my video. Yes, you can just say “yang krab” as well. 🙂