VIDEO: Taking SkyTrain

I live in Bangkok and use Skytrain all the time. Many times tourists approached me to ask questions about the station they wan to go to or the right exit they have to take. Even myself I have to ask these questions when I go somewhere I am not familiar with.

So let’s learn to ask these questions in Thai, shall we? 🙂

ถ้าจะไปซอยสุขุมวิท 24 ต้องลงสถานีไหนคะ

tâa jà bpai soi Sukhumvit 24, dtông long sà-tăa-nii năi ká?

If I want to go to Soi Sukhumvit 24, which station do I have to get off?

Sentence Structure:

Question structure in Thai language, the question word is often put at the end.

EN Structure: Which station do I get off?

TH Structure: I get off station which?

VOCAB:

ไป /bpai/ = to go

ลง  /long/ = to get off a vehicle

สถานี /sà-tăa-nii/ = station

ไหน /năi/ = Which?

You can apply the same pattern when taking the Chaopraya River boat.

For example you take the boat to to the Grand Palace (in Thai it is called วัดพระแก้ว Wat Phra Kaew), and you don’t know which pier you have to get off, you could ask this question;

จะไปวัดพระแก้ว ลงท่าไหน

jà bpai wát prá-gâew, long tâa năi?

I’m going to the Grand Palace, Which pier do I get off?

EN Structure: Which pier do I get off?

TH Structure: I get off pier which?

VOCAB:

ไป /bpai/ = to go

ลง  /long/ = to get off a vehicle

ท่า /tâa/ = pier

ไหน /năi/ = Which?

ออกทางออกไหน

àwk  taang-àwk năi?

Which exit do I leave?

EN Structure: Which exit do I leave?

TH Structure: I leave exit which?

ออกทางออกสาม

àwk  taang-àwk săam

leave exit three.

VOCAB:

ออก /àwk/  to leave, to go out, to exit

ทางออก /taang-àwk/ way out, exit

Bangkok BTS Map (Bangkok SkyTrain Map)

The BTS Skytrain runs through all important downtown disctricts and major transport hubs in Bangkok, from Mo Chit to On Nut (Sukhumvit Line) and National Stadium to Bang Wa (Silom Line). With connecting points to the MRT Underground, Chao Phraya Express Boats and two land transport terminals at Victory Monument and Mo Chit, it is the best way to get around.

BTS-map

I hope you find this lesson useful. If you have any questions feel free to post it in the comment section below. Thank you for watching our video. 🙂

, ,

16 Responses to VIDEO: Taking SkyTrain

1. คีธ 28/07/2015 at 04:11 #

ขอให้พวกคุณทั้งสองครูรีบมาที่อเมริกาที่อธิบายการใช้รถไฟ “metro” ที่ วอชิงตันดีซี นะครับ
    Can the two of you please come to America and explain Washington D.C.’s metro system? อิอิ

2. Mark Twain 09/02/2015 at 06:13 #

Hey girls hope you got that my last message was a Joke, you are still invited to the Launch Party. I wanted to see whether Thai People had great sense of humour. I do stand up comedy as hobby. I hope you got the Joke, I am still waiting news from you guys. Pear and Mod, you can write to me on my gmail instead ( you will find the address in _Email (will not be published) (required) box._)

3. AnToN 07/10/2013 at 13:03 #

sawadee kap!

i’m a filipino struggling to really learn thai. i am just so amazed by your culture. i have many thai friends & all my room mates before were thais. they used to bring me to all places thai like markets, restaurants & even bars & discos. i haven’t been to thailand but i stepped on your big airport in bangkok on my way to egypt in 2009. only 5 hours though but that was so magical. i wish to come & visit thailand in the near future & totally immerse myself in the culture & the thai way of life.

this site is heaven sent for me. i just happen to stumble on it while online. keep up the very good work.

kop kun kap!

anton

4. Elena 03/10/2013 at 01:27 #

Girls, you are the best! You are so helpful as always) The quality of the video is almost like a hollywood movie. Khopkhun ka for your hard work and enthusiasm!

• Mod 03/10/2013 at 16:26 #

Sawatdee ka Elena, thank you for your positive comment. We are happy to hear that you found our lesson useful. Hope you continue to follow our videos in the future as well. kop kun ka:-)

5. Rudy Lew 02/10/2013 at 11:12 #

Really love this video Mod thanks for sharing

• Mod 03/10/2013 at 16:27 #

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed my video. Thank you for watching:)

6. T Mark 30/09/2013 at 19:34 #

Thank you Mod I always enjoy your lessons

• Mod 01/10/2013 at 15:44 #

Thank you for watching. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed my videos:)

7. Graham 26/09/2013 at 11:30 #

tam-naghn yee-am! ( i think that means ‘great work’)
    Phom gam lang chai rot fai doo-an na pro wah khun laa Pear.Kop kun mahk mahk!

8. jason 24/09/2013 at 04:39 #

It wont be long now and you will be gone to television . Well presented practical out and about video . Kawp khun mak krap Mod and Pear.

9. Tony 24/09/2013 at 03:56 #

Thank you so much.

Have been in Phuket for 24 years but still struggling because I am 83! Never too old to teach an old dog new tricks but it goes much slower.

Taught English and German at Phuket Rajabhat University for 22 years. Love the students. Love Thailand. Will be in Phuket again on November 4..

My friend is from Nong Kai.

Tony

10. Philip Mifsud 23/09/2013 at 22:45 #

Next time could you find a quieter station to make conversation because it was so noisy!

11. Philip Mifsud 23/09/2013 at 22:37 #