VIDEO : Relationship

This lesson you will learn new words related to relationship. My brother’s girlfriend is sulking, and he wants to find a way to make it up to her.

Dialogue

MINK : Mod, tam yang-ngai dii à? มด ทำไงดีอ่ะ

What should I do?

dtawn-níi nóng Gúk-Gài káo ngawn mâak. ตอนนี้น้องกุ๊กไก่เค้างอนมาก

Now, Kookai is sulking a lot.

káo mâi yawm ráp toe-rá-sàp chán leoi. เค้าไม่ยอมรับโทรศัพท์ชั้นเลย

She refuses to answer my call.

MOD:         gèrd à-rai kûen? เกิดอะไรขึ้น

What happened?

MINK:        nóng káo jàp dâai wâa chán mii gík. น้องเค้าจับได้ว่าชั้นมีกิ๊ก

She found out that I had a secret lover.

MOD:         tâa chán bpen nóng Gúk-Gài, chán lêrk gàp gae bpai naan láew là. ถ้าชั้นเป็นน้องกุ๊กไก่ ชั้นเลิกกับแกไปนานแล้วหล่ะ

If I were Kookai, I would break up with you long time ago.

MINK:       áao! láew tâa gèrd gae bpen chán là? อ้าว แล้วถ้าเกิดแกเป็นชั้นหล่ะ

What if you were me?

MOD:        tâa chán bpen gae, chán gâw-jà bpai ngáw nóng káo ถ้าชั้นเป็นแก ชั้นก็จะไปง้อน้องเค้า

If I were you, I woud make it up to her.

MINK:        ngáw yang-ngai à? ง้อยังไงอ่ะ

How do I make it up to her?

MOD:        gâw paa nóng bpai dinner rŭu-rŭu tîi ráan aa-hăan à-ròi à-ròi. ก็พาน้องไปดินเนอร์หรูๆที่ร้านอาหารอร่อยๆ

Take her to have a fancy dinner at a nice restaurant.

ngâai jà dtaai ง่ายจะตาย It is very easy!

MINK:       dtawn-níi chán mòd dtùud à ตอนนี้ชั้นหมดตูดอ่ะ

Right now, I am broke.

kăw dtang yuem nòi  ขอตังค์ยืมหน่อย

Can I borrow some money?

MOD:          chán gâw tăng dtàek  ชั้นก็ถังแตกอ่ะ

I am broke too.

Key Learning Points:

1. ngawn (งอน) = to sulk / the feeling that you are not pleased about what you are treated.
  2. mâi yawm + do something (ไม่ยอม + do something) = refuse to do something
  3.  jàp dâai + action (จับได้)  = discover/find out that something bad is going on
  4. ngáw (ง้อ) = make it up to someone when you know you have done something wrong
  5. paa + someone + bpai + do something/somewhere (พา + someone + ไป + do something) = take someone to do something/somewhere
  6. adjective + jà dtaai  (adjective + จะตาย) = very/extremely + adjective (used for expressing opinion on something)
  7. mòd dtùud (หมดตูด)  = to be broke
  8. tăng dtàek (ถังแตก)     = to be broke
  9. tâa gèrd (ถ้าเกิด)  = What if…
  10. tâa + sentence, subject + gâw-jà + verb (ถ้า+ ประโยค, ประธาน + ก็จะ + กริยา)

If + something happen, then + the other thing would happen

I hope you find this lesson useful, and learn something new. Feel free to leave any questions or comments below.

Thank you for watching my lessons. : )

, , ,

24 Responses to VIDEO : Relationship

1. Veronika 09/03/2016 at 17:34 #

Hi, Mod! my name is Veronika. I’m from Russia. I study Thai language. Thank you for your lessons. My English is not very good, but I almost understand everything

• Mod 07/04/2016 at 18:38 #

Sawatdii ka Veronika, thank you for your comment. I am happy to hear that you found my videos useful in your Thai learning. Keep practicing. 🙂

2. son thiet 16/11/2015 at 18:21 #

this lesson helps me so much!!!! thank you teacher mod so much !! can you speak vietnamese teacher??

• Mod 23/11/2015 at 11:16 #

Thank you for your comment. I am happy to hear that you found it useful. I can only say ‘hello’ in Vietnamese Xin chao! 🙂

3. Chris 29/10/2015 at 04:51 #

ขอตังค์ยืมหน่อย

(kăw dtang yuem nòi)
    ขอ ตัง ยืม หน่อย

HI Mod, i have been trying to read the Thai text above and cannot understand why the consonant (ค์) is in the sentence? Please help!

• Mod 01/11/2015 at 14:21 #

It is the way the word is spelled. In Thai language there are many words that come from other languages such as Pali, Sanskrit, English etc. Those words are spelled in accordance with the original word and therefore when it is written in Thai it has a silent letter.

4. Michael 23/06/2013 at 09:36 #

Kru Mod
    Thank you for this video. You teach us many words, however, the best is your explanation. You’re a natural.

• Mod 24/06/2013 at 21:26 #

Sawatdee ka kun Michael, thank you for your kind words. I am happy to hear that you found my lesson useful. 🙂

5. Lum Yun Chong 22/06/2013 at 20:02 #

Kru Mod;
    Sawutdee krup; What is the meaning of “Chan leoi”
    Thank.

• Mod 22/06/2013 at 21:51 #

“chan” is the personal pronoun ‘I’. The other word is actually “mai…leoi” meaning ‘not at all’, leoi at the end is used for the emphasis.
      kao mai yawm rap toe-ra-sap chan leoi = she doesn’t want to asnwer my call at all.

• Lum Yun Chong 23/06/2013 at 10:37 #

kru Mod;
        sawutdee krup ,Pom kow jai Laaw
        Korp kun mahk na krup.

6. Peter 20/06/2013 at 09:25 #

Thanks Mod. This lesson is useful. I enjoy to learn Thai with you so much. Thank you!

7. Joe 18/06/2013 at 06:10 #

Thanks Mod. I enjoyed this lesson. As you said it is more difficult because of the new vocab with a lot of idiomatic expressions. Also some unusual pronouns and the more complicated use of the structures “iff … Then” and “Leow ….la”. Thank you.

8. Auryn 18/06/2013 at 01:32 #

What place you like in Bkk Mod to make dinner rûu rûu??

9. Matthias 17/06/2013 at 19:49 #

Hi Mod,

Did you get that transcription right?

Mod, tam yang-ngai dii à? มด ทำไงดีอ่ะ

I don’t see the “yang” in the Thai script…

• Mod 17/06/2013 at 22:05 #

That’s right. It was my mistake. ขอบคุณค่ะ 🙂

10. Pascal 17/06/2013 at 18:18 #

Hi Mod, thank you for your knew vidéo very helpful, I learn thai speaking since last august and i’ll come to bangkok in november for 1 mouth for the first time! wich area could you advice to stay for a week in hotel in bangkok “naâyoùu , sadoùuak laè ngîaap kwàa” thank you Mod

• Pascal 17/06/2013 at 20:37 #

Mod khoun pen phét souuay thiisoùt khoong thawiip aasiaa!!!

11. Kawee 17/06/2013 at 16:16 #

Thank you so much. It is very useful and easy to understand.

12. Rudy Lew 17/06/2013 at 15:38 #

Mod, noonchai (Mink) jau chuu,mai dii,
    som naam na.

13. Roy 17/06/2013 at 12:58 #

Great to have more complex sentences, discussion and idiom like this!!!

14. James 17/06/2013 at 05:16 #

Hey Mod,
    Thats a great video and for me something i can learn from as i`ve been studying Thai for about 5 years now and i`m way past most of the stuff you teach but this video is right at my level i found it interesting and i it taught me 2 new words `jàp dâai` & `ngawn` so thank you very much !!

Why not change Dor Dek to `t`….

mòd dtùud (หมดตูด) mot dtuut
    tâa gèrd (ถ้าเกิด) Taa gert

You change Gor Gai to `k`
    tăng dtàek (ถังแตก)

Thanks James

15. David 17/06/2013 at 04:18 #

Kru Mod…Thanks for another great lesson. You’re so generous with your time; sharing such great knowledge with us. Your lessons are always so useful and relevant. Great selection of words in this one and I like how it’s starting to get to a level where theres compound sentences with separate clauses. Really helpful when trying to learn to speak fluently…well, somewhat fluently. Thanks so much.

_/|\_

16. geordieb 17/06/2013 at 00:10 #

Very good Mod. This is just the level of language which I need. More please.