Learn Thai – Passive Voice

Thai passive voice

In Thai language, passive voice sentences  are used in the bad circumstances  only. For example;  she was deceived, the thief was arrested. etc.

The pattern  of passive voice sentence  is:

the action reciever  + ถูก  /tùuk/ + the doer + verb

or

the action reciever + โดน  /doan/ + the doer + verb

*The agent here means the person, animal or object that did the action in the sentence.

*ถูก  /tùuk/ and โดน  /doan/ are interchangeable. However, ถูก  /tùuk/ is more common.

Example;

ฉัน/ผมถูกหมากัด

chán/pŏm tùuk măa gàt

I was bitten by a dog.

ดาวิกาถูกแฟนทิ้ง

Dawika tùuk faen tíng

Dawika was abandoned by her boyfriend.

คริสถูกไล่ออกจากงาน

Chris tùuk lâi-àwk jàak ngaan

Chris was fired from his job.

วาสินีถูกรถชน

Wasinee tùuk rót chon

Wasinee was hit by a car

ขโมยถูกตำรวจจับแล้ว

kà-mooi tùuk dtam-rùat jàb láew

The thief has been captured by the police already.

The doer can be omitted if it is unknown or you understand who is the one who did the action.

เขาถูกหลอก

Káo tùuk làwk

He was deceived by unknown person

โทรศัพท์ถูกขโมย

toe-rá-sàp tùuk kà-mooi

The phone was stolen by someone.

ขโมยถูกจับแล้ว

kà-mooi tùuk jàb láew

The thief has been captured already. (It is obvious that The thief was captured by the police)

Questions in the passive voice

Questions in the passive voice is formed like the other questions – the question word is put at the end

A: ขโมยถูกตำรวจจับแล้วรึยัง

kà-mooi tùuk dtam-rùat jàb láew rúe-yang?

Has the thief arrested?

B:   Yes, he was arrested already

ขโมยถูกจับแล้ว kà-mooi tùuk jàb láew

or

No, he hasn’t been arrested

ขโมยยังไม่ถูกจับ kà-mooi yang mâi tùuk jàb

I hope you found this lesson useful in your Thai learning. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave it below in the comment section. : )

, ,

13 Responses to Learn Thai – Passive Voice

1. kimsoen 16/08/2013 at 16:16 #

Hello teacher ! i want you explain clearly about the lesson passive be Thai language and i understand that you write Thai sentence or English . i want to understand Thai sentence because i now am student need to know Thai .

Good bye teacher

2. Khruu Richard 19/05/2013 at 12:17 #

Mot, where did you come up the words victim and agent? It sounds like a crime is being committed or some kind of spying action is occuring, hehehe 🙂 Wouldn’t reciever (of the action) be better than victim, and, doer (of the action) be better than agent? Just a thought 😉

• Mod 19/05/2013 at 12:19 #

Sawatdee ka khruu Richard, thank you for your kind suggestion. I agree with you. I’ll change those words. : )

• Khruu Richard 19/05/2013 at 12:22 #

I was thinking of ผู้รับ (person who gets) 😉 sounds nicer 🙂 thanks for your response, khrab

3. Bryan 09/05/2013 at 10:43 #

In English the passive voice can be in all the tenses (past, present and future)
    e.g The letters were written by John.
    The letters are being written by John.
    The letters will be written by John.
    The letters could/should be written by John
    All the examples given in Kun Mod’s lesson are in the past tense. It would be nice if another lesson covered the other tenses.

• Mod 16/05/2013 at 11:20 #

Sawatdee ka Bryan, thank you for your suggestion. I’ll add other tense in my post. kop kun ka.

4. David 05/05/2013 at 09:50 #

Great lesson Mod. It took me a minute or two to figure out what you meant by passive voice. So in essence using tuuk is like past tense form of verb to be? Chai mai? This is extremely useful and i am sure this will help me in my daily speaking escapades. I speak with three friends on a daily basis so im always learning something new…yet somehow this never came up. Youre really the best teacher out there. Everyone always asks how i learned to speak so well

5. Patric 05/05/2013 at 02:25 #

Sawadee krup kru mod , i have to correct you on – kà-mooi tùuk dtam-rùat jàb láew rúe-yang?
    In English its ” has the thief BEEN arrested …..

• Mod 05/05/2013 at 11:16 #

That’s right! Thank you for correcting me 🙂

6. venancio 04/05/2013 at 08:55 #

Sawatdii khrap, Kru Mod:-)
    Yes, this lesson is very useful. Every lesson you posted are.
    Missed your voice, or your brother ‘s/sister’s.

Bye’ bye. Sawatdii krap

• venancio 05/05/2013 at 03:53 #

Oh, yes.

Me and my wife watched your video, it was Labor Day. Gìi means ‘how many’ and a has a right position in a question. Your voice was quite clear… and funny too.

Let us expand our vocabulary a little bit more, then who knows, we will feel able to apply to your Skype lessons. 🙂

Bye, bye. Sawadtii krap Kun Mod!

• Mod 19/05/2013 at 12:35 #

Sawatdee ka kun Venancio, thank you for your kind words. I’m happy to hear that you found this lesson useful. Have you watched my latest lesson I just uploaded recently? http://www.learnthaiwithmod.com/2013/05/learn-thai-how-many/

I miss filming videos with my brother and sister too. They have been busy lately.

7. Jay 03/05/2013 at 18:46 #

Dear Mod, Thanks for this lesson. Again very helpfull and fun.
    However, my wife (Thai) disagrees with you. She claims that passive voice sentences, in Thai, are not always used in the bad circumstances only. Coming home today, she said: chán tùuk lottery.