VIDEO: Practice Your Thai Listening Skills

First of all, I apologize for the background noise caused by the heavy wind. I filmed this video with my phone so the frame is very small, and I tried to reduce the background noise, but it didn’t work! 🙁  I hope you can hear my voice well enough.

I spent my long weekend at the beach in Pranburi. You can read more information about this lovely and peaceful beach village here.

Here is the script of my video:

สวัสดีค่ะทุกคน

/sà-wàt-dii kâ túk kon/

Hello everybody

ตอนนี้นะคะมดอยู่ที่ ชายทะเลที่ปราณบุรี

/dtorn-níi Mod yùu tîi chaai-tá-lay tîi Pranburi/

Now I am at the beach in Pranburi.

– อยู่ / yùu/ is used to tell location, learn more about telling location here.

– ชายทะเล / chaai-tá-lay/ seaside, beach

ปราณบุรีอยุ่ที่จังหวัดประจวบคีรีขันธ์

/Pranburi yùu tîi jang-wàt Bprà-jùab-kii-rii-kăn/

Pranburi is in Prajuab Kirikhan province.

นั่งรถมาประมาณสามชั่วโมงจากกรุงเทพฯค่ะ

/nâng rót maa bprà-maan săam chûa-moong jàak Grung-tâpe kâ/

It took about three hours by car from Bangkok.

We use the word “นั่ง/nâng/ + a vehicle” to say you take a vehicle to somewhere

– ประมาณ /bprà-maan/ approximately, about

-ชั่วโมง /chûa-moong/ hour

– จาก / jàak/ from

– กรุงเทพฯ /Grung-tâpe/ the name Thai people call Bangkok

วันนี้ลมแรงมาก /wan-níi lom raeng mâak/

Today is very windy,

– ลม /lom/ wind

– แรง /raeng/ strong

แต่ว่าอากาศเย็นสบายค่ะ /dtàe-wâa aa-gàat yen sà-baai kâ/

but the weather is comfortbly cool.

– แต่ว่า /dtàe-wâa/ but

– อากาศ /aa-gàat/ weather

– เย็นสบาย / yen sà-baai/ comfortably cool, not too hot or too cold

ลมแรง แดดไม่แรง ชอบมากเลย

/lom raeng dàed mâi raeng, chôrp mâak loei/

The wind is strong, the sun is not strong, I like it a lot.

– แดด /dàed/ sunlight

ถ้าใครอยากมาเที่ยวทะเลสงบๆเงียบๆนะคะ แวะมาที่ปราณบุรีนะคะ

/tâa krai yàak maa-tîao tá-lay sà-ngòb sà-ngòb ngîab- ngîab, wáe maa tîi Pranburi ná ká/

If anyone wants to come to peacful and quiet beach, stop by at Pranburi.

ถ้า /tâa/ if

ใคร /krai/ anyone

อยาก  /yàak/ want to do something

มาเที่ยว /maa-tîao/ come visit

ทะเล /tá-lay/ beach, sea

สงบ /sà-ngòb/ calm, peaceful

เงียบ /ngîab/ quiet

แวะ /wáe/ drop in, stop by

How was it? Did you catch what I said? Please leave your thoughts on the comment section below. kop kun ka. : )

14 Responses to VIDEO: Practice Your Thai Listening Skills

1. smile 19/01/2014 at 20:58 #

sorry,i do not know why i can not see the video. i have seen your video in another website.it is really very useful . thank you .

2. Tal Halevi 25/12/2013 at 13:32 #

Dear Mod,

This video is down for some reason.
    Are you familiar with it?

Thanks!

3. Khun T 08/06/2013 at 11:30 #

Can’t hear what you said in the video but your script helps clarify. 😉 thanks for the lesson.

4. David 05/03/2013 at 13:08 #

Nice try but the wind was too strong so your voice was not clear on the video.

• James Prescott 01/06/2013 at 08:07 #

nice setting and good script to learn new words. the but have to really listen to hear with the background noise. otherwise a very good effort. … I did learn some new works and how to use them. Thanks Khun Mod and the team.

5. Adje 05/03/2013 at 03:40 #

Hello Mod,
    Since a few weeks I try to learn thai.
    I saw you used for the word beach ‘ ta-lay ”
    and for a car the word “rot maa. ”
    I learned for beach ” tjai haad ” and for car ” rot jon ”
    Can you explane? Thank you.
    Adje.

• Mod 05/03/2013 at 11:57 #

Sawatdee ka Adje,

Literally, the word ‘the beach’ in Thai are 1. ชายหาด /chaai-hàad/ or in short หาด /hàad/
      The word ทะเล /tá-lay/ actually means ‘the sea’.

When Thai people talk about ‘the beach’ in general, not being specific which beach it is, we commonly use the word “ทะเล /tá-lay/”. For example, มดชอบไปเที่ยวทะเล /Mod chôrp bpai tîao tá-lay/ I like to go to the beach.

But when we are talking about the specific beach, we will use the word หาด/hàad/. For example; มดชอบหาดกะรนที่ภูเก็ต /Mod chôrp hàad Karon tîi Phuket/ I like Karon beach in Phuket.

As for the word ‘car’ in Thai, the full term is รถยนต์ /rót yon/, Thai people like to say just the word รถ/rót/.

I am not sure about “rot maa”. Could you give me the context or where you got this word from? kop kun ka.

• Young 22/03/2013 at 14:34 #

I think he or she wanna say “rot mae”. It means a bus.

6. Edouard Alain 04/03/2013 at 15:43 #

I catched.Thank you (merci) Mod.

• Pascal 05/03/2013 at 19:49 #

bonjour Alain tu es français et tu apprend aussi le thai?tu es où en france? à plus

• Edouard Alain 08/03/2013 at 14:31 #

Salut Pascal.Je suis à Douai 59500.Oui ,tout comme toi ,j,essaye de parler le thaï.Difficile je trouve à cause des intonations,mais c,est surtout pour me débrouiller sur place.Je crois que j,y arrive maintenant.

7. david tamfatin 04/03/2013 at 09:38 #

alot of conjunction being used to enhance once vocab in thai I like it v useful ninformative. good work

8. Pascal 04/03/2013 at 04:44 #

9. Kevin 04/03/2013 at 01:25 #

Sorry, i never quite understood what you said…But you still look beautiful, and as the wind is blowing your hair all over the place .