VIDEO: Fun Thai Slang – It Serves You Right!

Below are the translations for the dialogue of the role play in the video:

Mod: มิ้งช้าจัง Mink cháa jang. Mink is so late.

ช้า /cháa/ = slow, late

จัง /jang/ = very, used for emphasis at the end of a statement.

Mai: เมื่อไหร่จะมาอ่ะ mûea-rài jà maa à? When is he coming?

เมื่อไหร่ /mûea-rài/ = When?

จะ /jà/ = will, used to from a future tense

มา/ maa/ = to come

อ่ะ / à/ is n informal particle used instead of ครับ kráp/ค่ะ kâ/คะ ká

Mink: เฮ้อ เซ็ง! Seng! I’m bored!

Mai: เอ้า เป็นอะไรอีกอ่ะ  âo! bpen à-rai ìik à? What’s wrong again?

เป็นอะไร / bpen à-rai/ = what’s the matter?, what’s wrong?

อีก / ìik/ = again

Mod: เออ Er. Yeah.

Mink: น้องกิ๊บทิ้งชั้นอีกแล้ว nóng Gift tíng chán ìik láew. Gift left me again.

น้อง /nóng/ is a title used to call a younger person. It can be used alone or put before a nickname/name.

ทิ้ง / ting/ = to leave someone, to abandon, to throw away

ชั้น /chán/ is a pronoun ‘I’ usually used by female speakers, but male speaker can use this word when speaking to a close female person like Mink was talking to me and my sister so he used ‘ชั้น’ /chán/ instead of ผม /pŏm/

อีกแล้ว /ìik láew/ = again

Mod: เอ้าเหรอ âo rěr? Oh! really?

เหรอ / rěr?/ is a confirmation-seeking question particle. In this question it is shorten from จริงเหรอ /jing rěr? / meaning really?

Mai: สมน้ำหน้า sŏm náam nâa It serves you right!

Mod: สมน้ำหน้า sŏm náam nâa It serves you right!

Mai: อยากจะเจ้าชู้ดีนัก yàak jà jâo-chúu dii nák You wanted to be a playboy.

นัก /nák/ means ‘very, excessively’ ดี /dii/ means ‘good’ /ดีนัก / dii nák/ is used for emphasis, it is used to emphasize negative meaning statement.

Mod: ใช่ châi Right.

Mai: น้องเค้าทำถูกแล้วแหละ nóng káo tam tùuk láew làe. She did the right thing.

เค้า  / káo/ means ‘he,she’. It is also used to emphasize the subject by putting after the name or pronoun.

ทำ /tam/ = to do

ถูก / tùuk/ = right

แหละ /làe/   — a particle used at the end of a statement or question to add an imperative quality

Mod: มีกิ๊กอยู่นั่นแหละ ไม่ใช่คนรักเดียวใจเดียว คนเจ้าชู้

Mii gík yùu nân- làe, mâi-châi kon rák diao jai diao, kon jâo-chúuu

You always have a bit on the side, you are not faithful, and you are a playboy.

มี /mii/ = to have

นั่นแหละ / nân- làe/  — used for emphasis.

นั่น /nân/ means that

แหละ / làe/ —a particle used at the end of a statement or question to add an imperative quality.

Mod: ไป๊ bpái!

It is derived from the word ไป /bpai/ meaning ‘to go’. When you raise your tone to high tone ไป๊ / bpái/  — it gives the meaning of irritation, in English would be ‘go away!’.

Language Note: The expression สมน้ำหน้า /sŏm náam nâa/ is quite harsh. It is ok to use it to tease your friends or someone you know really well.

, ,

19 Responses to VIDEO: Fun Thai Slang – It Serves You Right!

1. Sarah Her 27/02/2013 at 10:10 #

Can you say Thai words so slow because I can’t catch up?

• Mod 02/03/2013 at 01:10 #

I will remember to speak slower in my next videos. kop kun ka. 🙂

2. Ado 20/11/2012 at 12:21 #

Hi Mod. Thanks for the lesson. I like these ‘everyday talk’ lessons.

Just a question about the difference between เป็นอะไร and เป็นอะไรอีก.
    I understand that the literal translation is “What’s wrong again?”, but in English we would never say this. By adding อีก to the end of เป็นอะไร, are you doing so because perhaps Mink is the type of person that always finds himself in trouble (in English we would say “What’s wrong this time?” or “What’s wrong now?”), or is it just another way of saying เป็นอะไร that does not change the meaning?

Thank you so much Khruu. Keep up the great work na 🙂

3. Tim 14/11/2012 at 05:21 #

Okay, now I have to ask!? 😉 Why is the headline of this video “boyfriend left me”?

• Mod 14/11/2012 at 13:46 #

It should be ‘girlfriend left me’. I’ll edit it, thank you.

• Tim 14/11/2012 at 15:12 #

Hello Kru Mod,

I wonder if my question was rude for you? In our european culture we are used to be quite direct. How would a Thai manage a such a Situation? Or is there no difference? If my question was inpolite, I am really sorry! Tim

4. Keith 13/11/2012 at 04:17 #

@James: the Thai word กิ๊ก is pronounced closer to gík than gig. However, you could still ask your gík to come to your gig at the Saxophone Club. 🙂

5. Jon 09/11/2012 at 22:22 #

Sawatdee khrap ajahn Mod, can you please explain why Mink’s girlfriend’s name in the role play is pronounced Gift and not Gib? Kob khun mahk khrap. Jon

• Mod 11/11/2012 at 00:46 #

“Gift” is a common Thai girl’s nickname which is actually English word meaning ‘present’, but when Thai people pronounce it we don’t pronounce ‘ft’ and change the ending sound to ‘b’. I spelled the name according to the original meaning, not the sound:)

• Robbie Murphy 12/11/2012 at 19:51 #

Ahhh ive been saying it wrong all last semester to one of my students must surprise her next week and finally say her name correctly!

• Tim 13/11/2012 at 00:15 #

…and in German ‘Gift’ means poison ! Poor mink 🙂 thank you for that funny video! Kob khun krap. Tim

6. James 09/11/2012 at 01:35 #

I am sure you get this a lot but are you involved in a relationship right now?

7. Larry 08/11/2012 at 13:11 #

Hi Kru Mod,
    I like your videos and your facebook. I have a question to ask you. I work doing Thai massage and one of the phrases we use a lot, in english, is “good pain”, as in something that hurts good. Is there a Thai translation for this?
    Larry

• Mod 13/11/2012 at 12:29 #

Sawatdee ka kun Larry,

I am happy to hear that you like my videos. We don’t really have a Thai translation of ‘good pain’ in Thai. I think we say pain but good เจ็บแต่ดี /jeb dtae dii/ 🙂

• Larry 01/02/2013 at 02:25 #

Thank you so much for your help! It was very helpful in Thailand, when I received massage. Better than thumbs up and thumbs down! Would an english translation maybe be “hurts good”?

8. Thomas 08/11/2012 at 05:08 #

So helpful. Thank you lotsa tons

9. Jim 08/11/2012 at 00:35 #

Mod- I love your videos and always learn a lot so thank you for that. I just want to point out that gig is an English loan word but it has a different meaning in English. A gig was originally slang, meant to apply to musicians for a new place to perform. IE: “I have a gig at the Saxophone” this Saturday. The word has been used so much that it can now be used casually to have similar meanings that can be understood by the context.

• Richard 12/11/2012 at 09:34 #

Sorry the word is not “gig”, it is “gik”. It is pronounced quite differently (with an ee sound).