Thai Iced Tea Recipe

I love to drink Thai iced tea or what Thai people call it “Chaa Yen” (ชาเย็น). It has a unique flavor, creamy and sweet with rich aroma. My mom came to visit me last week so I asked her to teach me how to make it. It is actually very easy!

Let’s have a look at the ingredients and equipment:

1.  2 cups water (0.5 liter)

2. 50 grams black Thai tea (My mom mix Thai tea with another kind of tea she got from my hometown, she said it was from Malaysia and it makes the tea richer)
* You can find Thai tea mix which is available in Asian markets and also online.

3. 3/4 cup (about) brown sugar (you can also use white sugar, however my mom said the brown sugar gives the tea a nice fragrance)

4. 1/2 cup (about) condensed milk

5. 1/2 cup evaporated milk  (if you can’t find condensed milk and evaporated milk, you can use half-and-half )

Directions:

1. Put the tea into the water and bring it to boil, then simmer over low heat about 10 minutes.

2. Strain the tea through a sieve lined with a Thai tea strainer, basically it is a really fine sheet pastry cloth.

3. I use the tongs to squeeze the cloth to get as much tea as possible, and that’s it! you already got Thai tea. You can keep the tea in the fridge and sweeten it later when you want to serve, but I wanted to serve it right away so I mixed the condensed milk, evaporated milk and the tea together.

4. Mix the the condensed milk and evaporated milk together.

5. Pour the tea into the mixed milk. You can also refrigerate the tea until it is cold.

This is how to essemble the Thai tea:

1. Fill tall glasses with ice.

2. You want a two-layer effect so pour the tea over the ice to the bottom of the glass and leave about 20% at the top.

3.  Slowly pour the evaporated milk into the glasses. Serve and enjoy!

My mom is helping me making the Cha Yen:)

Please let me know how it turn out:)

Mod

, , , ,

13 Responses to Thai Iced Tea Recipe

1. John 08/09/2015 at 14:50 #

Nice post; this would definitely work. I’m a tea enthusiast–although it sounds strange to say that–and I just tried and researched Thai tea, which is not the kind of tea I usually drink. One interesting point was about additional flavoring used in Thai iced tea, although as in your recipe a modern version could be made without any. It seemed orange blossoms and crushed tamarind seed might be most traditional, or that star anise or ground clove might also be used. It’s hard to say if any was actually really “original.”

The post about that: http://teaintheancientworld.blogspot.com/2015/09/traditional-thai-tea-at-bridge-cafe-and.html

2. SANDY 29/07/2014 at 13:16 #

Love cha yen since the first time I drank it. BTW I remember the tea always has a bright orangey colour that is different as compared to other countries milk tea. What gives the tea the orangey colour?

• Mod 04/08/2014 at 13:15 #

Many tea manufactures add food colouring into the tea powders. 🙂

3. Looi 03/07/2014 at 22:59 #

Lucky to found your blog, Just back from Thailand just pass monday and started to miss Thai Milk Tea already~ (Y) Now can make own Thai Milk Tea~ =)

• Mod 08/07/2014 at 17:16 #

Thank you for visiting my website and read my article. I am happy to know that you like it. 🙂

4. Steve 04/08/2012 at 10:54 #

Sawatdee Khrap Kru Mod!

When I go to Thai restaurants here in America and order Cha Yen I sometimes get the American version of ice tea (Just plain cold tea) and sometimes I get the Thai version. What I want is the American version. What should I ask for to make sure that I get the American un-sweetened version and not the Thai version with milk and sugar?

Khaawp Khoon Khrap

• Mod 04/08/2012 at 15:38 #

The American version is called ชาดำเย็น “Chaa Dam Yen” in Thai 🙂

• Mod 04/08/2012 at 17:02 #

I am not sure if you meant “Cha Dam Yen”, please read more about it here: http://wp.me/p1dKYh-sv

• Steve 29/09/2012 at 21:09 #

Kru Mod,

Yes that is close to what I want, except I also do not want sugar. Can I say “Ao Cha Dam Yen khrap, mai ao nam-tan khrap”?

By the way, i love your video lessons. You’re very cheerful and excited in your videos and I can tell that you really enjoy making them. I also enjoy the music and acting! I will be taking my second trip to Thailand in June and I have been trying to practice my Thai at least 1 hour a day. I am saving money so I can signup for your Skype lessons.

Khaawp Khoon Krap

5. Sermons on Grace 02/08/2012 at 11:36 #

Tea is my favorite, I’m looking forward to try this. Thanks for posting this recipe!

6. John 07/07/2012 at 10:20 #

Kru Mod,

What is the difference between “condensed milk” and “evaporated milk”? Is the condensed milk sweetened?

Thanks

• Mod 08/07/2012 at 18:30 #

Sawatdee ka Kun John, condensed milk (Thai :นมข้นหวาน) is thick and sweetened, evaporated milk(Thai :นมข้นจืด หรือ นมข้นไม่หวาน) is thin like regular milk and not sweet:)