VIDEO: Simple Yes/No Question

Hi everyone,

After we learn how to say hello and greet now it is time to start some basic conversations.

[1] Yes/no questions

Statements are transformed into questions that require a simple yes/no question answer by adding the question particles to the end of the statement:

มั้ย /mái/ (used spoken Thai) orไหม /măi/  (used in formal written Thai)

is an information-seeking question particle used in neutral questions which do not anticipate either a positive or negative response.

The pattern is

Subject + adjective or verb  + mái ?

Answer to simple mái? questions are formed as follows:

YES : VERB/ ADJECTIVE

NO : mâi + VERB/ADJECTIVE

For example;

question: bprá-têet tai rôrn  mái?

ประเทศไทยร้อนมั้ย

(Is Thailand hot?)

answer: rôrn / mâi rôrn

ร้อน / ไม่ร้อน

If the question includes more than one verb, the first verb is normally used in responses.

Question:yàak bpai duu năng mái?

อยากไปดูหนังมั้ย

Would you like to go to see a movie?

Answer: yàak / mâi yàak

อยาก / ไม่อยาก

These are other yes/no question particles you might see in books or hear:

หรือ /rŭe/ is obsolete, no one is using this one as a question word anymore. It is used for ‘or’.
รึเปล่า /rúe-bplào/ and มั้ย /mái/ are the same. In spoken Thai, รึเปล่า /rúe-bplào/ is shorten to ป่ะ/bpà?/

Example: Do you like Thai food? can be phrased in three different ways;
1.คุณชอบอาหารไทยมั้ย /kun chôrp aa-hăan tai mái?/
2.คุณชอบอาหารไทยรึเปล่า/ kun chôrp aa-hăan tai rúe-bplàao?/
3.คุณชอบอาหารไทยป่ะ/ kun chôrp aa-hăan tai bpà?/

, , ,

11 Responses to VIDEO: Simple Yes/No Question

1. Tram Anh 01/05/2013 at 20:42 #

I will answer to the question like this: yes: เป็นคะ (bpen ka) or no: ไม่ใช่คะ (mâi châi ka). Is it right?
    Kop kun ka Kru Mod. ^_^

• Yvan 28/10/2013 at 01:53 #

In my opinion, when you answer “yes”, you’d better say ใช่ค่ะ.

2. Tram Anh 30/04/2013 at 13:17 #

Sawatdee ka Kru Mod,
    I have a question that is how to say “Is she a teacher?” in Thai.
    Kornkun ka KruMod 😀

• Mod 01/05/2013 at 00:09 #

Sawatdee ka, it is “เขาเป็นครูรึเปล่า” kao bpen kruu rue-bplaao?

3. nasser 15/09/2012 at 03:51 #

Hi , would you please help me , I want to learn thai language .
    Regardes
    nasser

4. Lum Yun Chong 01/09/2012 at 12:59 #

The writing ” มั้ย” (Mai) and the “ไหม” are the same na krup.

5. Para 14/12/2010 at 01:30 #

Great Website. Learning thai this way is fun! One question: is ไหม the same as มั้ย ? I see the first in the text and the second in the video. Thank you for all the good info here 🙂

• admin 14/12/2010 at 11:07 #

Sawasdii ka Para,

Thank you for your question.
      The question word used to form Yes/No question “mái” (high tone), to put it in writing it is “ไหม” (măi – writing language) but it is pronounced as “มั้ย” (mái -speaking language).

When I made my video I was afraid that the audience would be confused if it should be rising tone or high tone, so I decided to write it as the way it is pronounced which is high tone มั้ย. But later when I wrote the blog I thought I better write in Thai script in writing language ไหม. That’s why they are different.

To make it easy to understand, when you speak you say mái (มั้ย) but when you write it, write ไหม (măi) .

I am sorry if I confused you. Please feel free to ask me any questions:)

kop kun ka
      Mod

• tarun 27/11/2011 at 14:53 #

hi ,its gud that i learning more about thai language,so as i got more knowledge for yes /no question,..in the last video a question been asked by mod ,and the answer is yes,so mod can u plz tel me how to wright the yes in thai language,,the quetion was,,,wi-dioo-ssa-nuk-mai?

• Mod 28/11/2011 at 12:55 #

The yes answer to “mai?” question is repeating the verb/adjective from the question.
          Question: wi-di-oo sa-nuk mai?
          Answer : sa-nuk krap สนุกครับ